How do I remove this tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having some trouble with our bathroom taps, one of which is dripping and the other of which is not releasing any water.

I know I need to change the washers, and I have removed the tap head to reveal this bit underneath. I just don't know how to get this bit off without removing the entire tap set, which I don't want to do.

I tried moving the top metal bit under where the tap bit would be but it doesn't budge.

Photos:

2012-10-02211420.jpg

2012-10-02211408.jpg

2012-10-02211138.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I tried moving the top metal bit under where the tap bit would be but it doesn't budge.
Need a bit of the old elbow grease, as that part will come off!
Might need to wrap a cloth round it, to prevent damage and get a pair of grips to it.

You need to remove the chrome shrould, useally a rag so you don't damage the chrome and a pair of pump grips, turn anti clockwise it'll come off.

Ha! Thought it might be that. I was using a wrench but wasn't big enough to get round it. Cheers/

Sponsored Links
Just check before you start to remove it, that there is no fixing screw or allen heads on underside or back of tap.

You mean something that will release it easier than unscrewing from the top? Will do. Thanks again.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=boa+wrench&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14831323420497915863&sa=X&ei=5F1tULHVGenC0QXKmYCwDg&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAQ

Would this do the trick?

No. Use grips. You need something that is going to dig in. A rubber belt will just slip.

in my humble opinion and if you need to purchase tools. As hot & cold are faulty,just change the complete tap.
or in your case get a plumber in.

good luck.

book your xmas parties now.

as PrenticeBoyofDerry suggested, check for screws that hold down such kind of taps on basin tops.

call a qualified plumber????

If it's something simple I can do myself I would rather not fork out for a plumber. Changing a washer should be a simple procedure right?

I do realise the irony of saying that after asking about it :LOL:

A bit of heat helps sometimes. Assuming you have not got a gas blowlamp, Try running a stream of boiling water over out of a kettle over the shroud. Repeat if necessary then try. Expansion of the shroud helps sometimes.

Hi

Just to update on this- I got the top off to reveal the big brass nut. However I tried to remove this (on both taps) and it would not budge at all.

Do I need to remove the little brass bit at the top of this (the bit poking through you can see in the photos) before removing the nut?

Whenever I tried to remove the nut, the whole tap set moved about in the basin which didn't fill me with a great deal of confidence.

I am determined to finish this job myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back