How Do I Remove This Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to take the top off this tap so I can clean it out and change the washer. But it is stuck solid. On the cold one, you just unscrew the top bit in the middle that has the hot/cold symbol on it, then the top part which you normally turn for the water, just pulls off. But on the hot tap it will not pull off no matter what I try, can't move it at all. Any advice appreciated please before I have a disaster. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the red cap, take the screw out from under the cap and work the top up.

Thanks for your reply. The tap isn't like that, with the cold one you unscrew the top bit (the red part in the pic), then the top just pulls off. But this one is stuck solid.

Ps put the plug in or you may loose the screw as it appears somebody did when they fixed the cold one last time it was fixed!!!

Sponsored Links
There isn't a screw under the cap. The cap screws off and has the thread underneath it, which is attached. Then the top just pulls off. The hot one is stuck though.

sorry, just noticed its a prestex top.

It could be that the top has been glued on if the spline was worn out.

you may have to shear it off ond fit a pair of tap tops

Thanks again. It hasn't been glued, it has been off before, a couple of years ago. The top (red part) unscrews easy enough, then the top should pull off, but won't. It only locates about a quarter of an inch, over a 'square' bolt top kind of thing. Seems to have welded itself to it with gunk or whatever. If I try much harder I'm afraid I might crack the sink.

Take the top off and fill the hole with vinegar then leave it to soak overnight chances are good it's just stuck with scale.

Thanks I'll try that. I have done just that with WD-40, and left that soaking but it hasn't helped so far.

Pull and rock it at the same time, you'd be better with 3in1 or wd40

Thank you. I have been trying that, but I will continue to do so, and keep soaking it with WD-40 also.

Pour boiled water in the hole that's under the red cap, so it flows over the tap's head. This can sometimes cause slight expansion and shock to the head which will allow it to be pulled off.

You can also try and tapping down on the top with a rubber mallet on each side, may be enough to crack whatever gunk is holding it.

I have been doing that with a rubber mallet, all around it and on top, but I am wary of going too hard and cracking the sink. I will continue to do so though if needs be, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back