How Do I Remove This Tap

Keep going with the boiled water. Get the head well heated up. Sometimes it just pulls off after this treatment.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
They're as old as the hills and twice as fugly. Buy some new taps. Much less hassle.

Give it a couple of years and all the trendy retro shops will be charging a fortune for them with the Champagne basin! :D
Still waiting for my Pampas bathroom suite to come back into fashion :D

Yes, rip these high quality taps out, that have lasted decades. Then install some Chinese made ones that will fall apart in a year. :cry:

Well, still no luck I'm afraid. It was well soaked for several hours in WD-40 yesterday, but wouldn't budge still. I left it soaking overnight in vinegar, no joy (but came up really shiny!). I have spent some time with boiling water heating up the top, tried the rubber mallet still and all the leverage that I dare try, but nothing. Any other ideas please. I would hate to change taps for the sake of a washer. And for what it's worth, I like the taps, they have lasted well for years, the cold one which I had apart yesterday is still solid, they are good, quality taps, and I think it would be pointless to waste them. Thanks.

Can we have a pic of the tap with the red index removed and a pic of the underside of the index.

Have you tried a set of mole grips around the bottom of the tap head (with a wet rag) and then tap up on that?

I have used a similar method, with a metal bar wrapped in a cloth underneath the bottom of the tap top, and also tried prising it off levering a piece of wood under it. Seems to be well and truly stuck.

Are you 100% positive there isn't a screw holding it on, Why else would the indice unscrew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back