How do I remove this thumbturn? No screws!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved, our house has thuimbturn locks on the bathroom & toilet, the bathroom one is broken (the inside knob can spin sometimes) sp feels like a metal-in-plastic spline has chewed or something. But I can't figure how it's supposed to be removed.

There are no setscrews or holes.
The knob is bigger than the cover, def on the inside maybe on the outside
Knob shows no sign of giving if I try to prise it off.

The door handle is seperate - these are removed by prising off the cover to reveal the screws. But I can't do that for the thumbturn cos the knob prevents it.

Before I really start using brute force, anyone recognise this lock and know how it's fitted? I don't want to get too heavy handed and scratch the door if possible.

Pics attached. There is no ID on the external hardware but the mortice lock cover plate does have "Eclipse" branding.

Attachments

• 20240117_130755.jpg
    20240117_130755.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240117_130801.jpg
    20240117_130801.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
I would expect there to be a grub screw on the underside of the thumb turn. Undo the grub, pull the knob towards you. the square profile spindle can be pushed to the outer side. Then unscrew the covers (anti-clockwise) if you need to get to the fixing screws.

It may just be the case that the grub screw is loose.

As a test, you could use a coin to lock/unlock the door from the outside, if it is Ok, then the grub screw may well be the problem.

Edit, you may need allen keys to tighten the grub screw.

Last edited:
There is no screw - which is why I explicitly said there are no setscrews :)

Anyways not to worry. Sod's law dictates that I'll find out minutes after posting, which I did. The knob and cover/escutcheon come away completely as one unit, they're a press fit on to the rest of the lock. No way the knob is coming off as it's held in with a circlip.

Inside as expected - a soft plastic insert with a once-square hole which has been munged by the square steel shaft. For now I've filled the void with epoxy which hopefully will set enough to hold and turn the shaft, and trimmed out the recess in the jamb which was binding the mortice and causing the problem in the first place.

Otherwise it's a new thumbturn which should be easy enough now I can get the old one off.

Cheers,
Mr.D

Attachments

• 20240117_144735.jpg
    20240117_144735.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 16
There is no screw - which is why I explicitly said there are no setscrews :)

Anyways not to worry. Sod's law dictates that I'll find out minutes after posting, which I did. The knob and cover/escutcheon come away completely as one unit, they're a press fit on to the rest of the lock. No way the knob is coming off as it's held in with a circlip.

Inside as expected - a soft plastic insert with a once-square hole which has been munged by the square steel shaft. For now I've filled the void with epoxy which hopefully will set enough to hold and turn the shaft, and trimmed out the recess in the jamb which was binding the mortice and causing the problem in the first place.

Otherwise it's a new thumbturn which should be easy enough now I can get the old one off.

Cheers,
Mr.D

I stand corrected. Thanks.

I have never come across a thumb turn that can be levered off before.

Sponsored Links
I am also having an issue trying to remove my thumb turn. a 2mm Allen key is too large to fit in the hole, and a 1.5mm allen key is too small and just spins. Any ideas... more door handle is knackered and needs replacing so I need to remove this to get the old handle off and the new handle on.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.jpeg
    IMG_4036.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4037.jpeg
    IMG_4037.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 25
I am also having an issue trying to remove my thumb turn. a 2mm Allen key is too large to fit in the hole, and a 1.5mm allen key is too small and just spins. Any ideas... more door handle is knackered and needs replacing so I need to remove this to get the old handle off and the new handle on.
Could be imperial size grub screw, but more likely a metric one which has been tightened and damaged the socket.
Make sure your Allen key has a good flat edge with no rounded corners.

a 2mm Allen key is too large to fit in the hole, and a 1.5mm allen key is too small and just spins.
If it won't move you may have to drill it out and replace the lock as well.

Thanks, I think i'll try sacrificing an allen key first, if not drill it. I was hoping not to have to replace the lock but it seems inevitable. Thanks for all the ideas

That looks like a front door lock. If so, you don't need to remove the thumb turn to remove the cylinder. There should be a screw that is accessible from the door edge. Remove that. Then turn the thumb turn slightly, that will move the plastic locking level on the cylinder and allow you to pull the thumb turn side of the cylinder towards you.

In the main, the thumb turn is not designed to be removed from the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back