removing privacy lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new handle and seperate thumbturn lock to my bathroom door. Having trouble because I can't even get the old one off! Its a lever and thumbturn lock on the same backplate. I have unscrewed all the screws from both sides of the backplate and even tried to remove the strike plate. Can't get the handle off because the thumbturn part is still holding the whole thing on. What am I doing wrong?

Hellllp pleeeaase!!

Sponsored Links
there will be a small 2-3mm grub screw probably underneath the shaft of the privacy lock.

this will either be an allen key or slotted screwdriver type.

undo it to release the lock shaft.

noseall said:
there will be a small 2-3mm grub screw probably underneath the shaft of the privacy lock.

this will either be an allen key or slotted screwdriver type.

undo it to release the lock shaft.

Thanks so much . . . it worked! Thought I may have to show my ignorance to a tradesman but you're a star!

Don't suppose you know whether I will need to buy a new lock to work with the new latch and seperate privacy lock? The existing fixing was a fully incorporated version with a mortice latch. Will I need to buy a new deadbolt for use with the thumbturn and a just use the mortice latch for the new handle. If you can answer this one you definately are a star.....

Thanks again.

basically there are two types of privacy lock.

one is a cheaper hit and miss type, that when engaged, a slim piece of metal interrupts the handle, preventing it from releasing the latch.

the more expensive version works like a proper lock. when the thumbscrew is turned it engages a lock into a mortice keep.

it sounds to me as if you have the more expensive version. provided you have bought a similar set up the handles should be interchangeable, though this isn't guaranteed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back