How do I repair/adjust this upvc door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our upvc rear door doesn't shut properly when closed, there is still a gap left at the top as seen in the pictures.

I found the threads for the adjustment plate were stripped so the plate kept moving but I've since fitted a new plate and screws and adjusted it right in so it should pull the top corner further in but it doesn't, I'm not sure what to try next?

IMG_20220919_161603.jpg

IMG_20220919_161553.jpg

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Adjusted right in rarely works.... adjust it all the way out, and edge it back in until it doesn't catch the door anymore, then go back the other way a little.

Sponsored Links
So the door frame is in twist or out of wind if its touching the gasket at the bottom but has a gap at the top, it would appear then the door frame is leaning out at the top on the lock side or if its plumb the the hinge side is leaning in, to cure that gap you'll need to adjust the frame, nothing on the door sash or fitting new locks will fix that

Had another look at this earlier and your right, the top left of the frame (from inside) where's the issue is 5mm out of square, it's plumb at the bottom and starts to run out just above the handle upto the corner. The rest of the frame is all plumb.

I wonder if I'll be able to remove the fixings from the middle of the frame up and lever it square before fitting new fixings with it held square then just tidy up the foam and sealant as required.

Yes you'll need to remove the fixings and adjust the frame to suit the door either doing it on the lock side or moving it on the hinge side the opposite way

Looked at this today, managed to remove the top most frame fixing, use a saw down outside of frame to cut the foam and then lever the top of the frame into true with a jemmy before making a new hole for the fixing and now it closes properly so thanks for the advice.

Now I've just got to refoam the frame and remove and replace the old frame sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back