How do I reset a Scantronic Burglar Alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 9100 manual and it is MAINS first for initial power up. From that point on it is BATTERY first.

And yes I've fitted many - mainly about 20 years ago.

If the manual is wrong - why have they never changed that info?

Contact Scantronic if you wish.

joe, I aint interested in arguing the point with you beyond this - the manual doesnt deal with locked panels, most manuals say battery first - so out in the field you can stand there powering up battery first all you want then when you can`t get it running take it back?

MAINS FIRST EVERYTIME

Quick test for you tommorow - power a panel up (new) battery first and test the volts / current compared to minimum values.

Sponsored Links
I've got a 9100 manual and it is MAINS first for initial power up. From that point on it is BATTERY first.

And yes I've fitted many - mainly about 20 years ago.

If the manual is wrong - why have they never changed that info?

Contact Scantronic if you wish.

joe, I aint interested in arguing the point with you beyond this - the manual doesnt deal with locked panels, most manuals say battery first - so out in the field you can stand there powering up battery first all you want then when you can`t get it running take it back?

MAINS FIRST EVERYTIME

Quick test for you tommorow - power a panel up (new) battery first and test the volts / current compared to minimum values.

Mains first can give voltage spikes that stuff up the microprocessor - that's why a duff battery stuffs up panels!

Batteries operate as smoothing capacitors to iron out the spikes.

If you stuff up a Scantronic panel by not following the instructions you'll invalidate the warranty.

The manufacturer is RIGHT. The manual is RIGHT. Saxondale is WRONG.

Live with it.

Mains first can give voltage spikes that stuff up the microprocessor - that's why a duff battery stuffs up panels!

If you stuff up a Scantronic panel by not following the instructions you'll invalidate the warranty.

The manufacturer is RIGHT. The manual is RIGHT. Saxondale is WRONG.

Live with it.

Joe - you got any relativly new manuals handy - or an old scantronic mosaic maybe ? go read again but pay attention to " kick starting" (thats where you have to short out a set of pins to " tell " the panel to start on battery only for the uninitiated ie because it is expecting mains first)

or maybe sticking with your favourite scantronic panels its the old " audible panic " printing error (you know where they got the value the wrong way round)

flat batteries stuff panels by "demanding" too much current at the same time the panels trying to load it`s software, switch all the outputs and connected devices are all in alarm

Like I said - you do it by the book, let the real engineers get on with the job

Quote : saxondale
"Joe - you got any relativly new manuals handy - or an old scantronic mosaic maybe ? go read again but pay attention to " kick starting" (thats where you have to short out a set of pins to " tell " the panel to start on battery only for the uninitiated ie because it is expecting mains first)"

Can someone please tell me what the Scantronic Mosaic Kick Start facility has to do with the Scantronic 9100 - it's the 9100 that is in question NOT the Mosaic

Kick Start on the 9100, I'd be interested to see that page in the manual!!
Whoops, sorry, it's not there.

Sponsored Links
flat batteries stuff panels by "demanding" too much current at the same time the panels trying to load it`s software, switch all the outputs and connected devices are all in alarm

Like I said - you do it by the book, let the real engineers get on with the job

A 'real' engineer would realise that batteries can go either short circuit or 'open' circuit.

Short circuit turns the battery into a heater element and stuffs up the voltage regulator. Open circuit turns the battery into an inert lump of lead paste that is effectively removed from the system. That's when voltage spikes stuff up the microprocessor.

You stick to whatever it is you are good at (it's not alarms).

"Joe - you got any relativly new manuals handy - or an old scantronic mosaic maybe ? go read again but pay attention to " kick starting" (thats where you have to short out a set of pins to " tell " the panel to start on battery only for the uninitiated ie because it is expecting mains first)"

Can someone please tell me what the Scantronic Mosaic Kick Start facility has to do with the Scantronic 9100 - it's the 9100 that is in question NOT the Mosaic

of course it`s not there, no one said it was - point proving that not ALL manuals say battery first

A 'real' engineer would realise that batteries can go either short circuit or 'open' circuit.

Short circuit turns the battery into a heater element and stuffs up the voltage regulator. Open circuit turns the battery into an inert lump of lead paste that is effectively removed from the system. That's when voltage spikes stuff up the microprocessor.

You stick to whatever it is you are good at (it's not alarms).

Joe ( may I call you Joe,Joe) you can shout back all you want, short or open this is one way (its the easiest so always try it first) to reboot a locked panel that doesnt have a removable eeprom or pins, you stick to reading manuals - I`ll stick to the couple of thousand systems I`ve got on service - cheers

of course it`s not there, no one said it was - point proving that not ALL manuals say battery first

Which is what I said 10 posts ago !!!!!!!!!!

If you stuff up any panel by not following the instructions you'll invalidate the warranty.

Joe90 is WRONG.

Live with it.
Actually, batteries operate as a power source. They have an added bonus of potentially soaking up the spikes/surges etc.

Which is what I said 10 posts ago !!!!!!!!!!

sorry mate missed that one, seems theres too many people on here to happy to make comment without any form of background check to the posters history - the comment about not knowing the panel for example I find deeply offensive so lets clear the air

name - saxondale

position - company owner

age - 40`s

trade -30 plus years

status - nsi gold for over 20 of them (or it`s equivalent at that time for all you pedants)

currently responsible for lets say 2300 systems

yes EN doesnt apply, yes you cant kickstart a 9100, no it isnt battery first ever - stop reading posts given in example as a response to a previous question.

I do this everyday,it`s how it`s done, forget the manual, forget this site

"all new panels have to be mains first without exception to comply with EN" ???

What on earth has EN to do with a Scantronic 9100, this could have been installed for 12 or more years, EN not even thought of then, it's not retrospective!

Another point to ponder, if we start talking about a DiY system EN243 & PD662 etc have no bearing.
By the way, if you want a copy of the manuals to find out how to correctly power up the panels mentioned there are many supplied on *Bay.

It seems as though you don't have a lot of experience with this panel, have you ever worked on one,

Seems you are being selective, Where did it say anything to do with EN 12 or more years back?
You'll will find it was referenced to NOW.

Likewise, nothing was said about EN243 and PD662. Probably because ACPO policy is not relevant and PD662 doesn't exist.

As for ever working on one.
You really must accept that some people really do know more than you think you know.

Forget what the manufacturer tells you, forget everything unless it's what Saxondale tells you, Saxondale makes it up as he goes along - but what the heck? He's in a hole and he just can't seem to stop digging. He's even trying to brag his way out now! He's in his forties but been trading for over thirty years. These nine year olds had some talent.

Forget what the manufacturer tells you, forget everything unless it's what Saxondale tells you, Saxondale makes it up as he goes along - but what the heck? He's in a hole and he just can't seem to stop digging. He's even trying to brag his way out now! He's in his forties but been trading for over thirty years. These nine year olds had some talent.

Joe - you really don`t get life do you, maybe you need to get off your hobby horse. Heres someone who actually does this and knows what they are doing wanted to try and help others if they dont want to follow the advice thats up to them,if you wanna dispute the advice don`t bother your not as experianced or knowledgeable as me.

take it maths isn`t one of your strong points either wheres the bragging? I`m 48 and started straight out of school - what did you do for the last 32 years of your working life?

So, the NSI are wrong too then??
Where did he say he had been trading over thirty years?

Stop acting like your mate Breezer, or should we say Europlex now and realise some members actually are in the trade.

Oh, and for your benefit, the manuals don't always tell you everything and the manufacturer may just be wrong. Afterall, we are talking about an old panel. Your lucky if they have staff who have in depth knowledge of all old product ranges.

"all new panels have to be mains first without exception to comply with EN" ???

What on earth has EN to do with a Scantronic 9100, this could have been installed for 12 or more years, EN not even thought of then, it's not retrospective!

Another point to ponder, if we start talking about a DiY system EN243 & PD662 etc have no bearing.
By the way, if you want a copy of the manuals to find out how to correctly power up the panels mentioned there are many supplied on *Bay.

It seems as though you don't have a lot of experience with this panel, have you ever worked on one,

Seems you are being selective, Where did it say anything to do with EN 12 or more years back?
You'll will find it was referenced to NOW.

Likewise, nothing was said about EN243 and PD662. Probably because ACPO policy is not relevant and PD662 doesn't exist.

As for ever working on one.
You really must accept that some people really do know more than you think you know.

I'm being selective? At least I go back and read all the posts before I comment on anything.

Not going to go through all your - or others comments but, EN was brought up by an-other, 12 yrs comes from the O/P (1st post in this thread - possible age of panel) ...........

That's it, no more for me in this thread - childish/pointless.

p.s.

Been in this business about 35 years (so I do know a bit) and as far as I know, no one on this Forum is known to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back