Scantronic 9448+ Keeps Tampering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Scantronic 9448+ unit, hardwired, combined box and key pad. Recently, the alarm have been regularly activating with nothing showing on the box until you enter the passcode to reset it, when the tamper light illuminates.

I would appreciate the best course of action to troubleshoot it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are many reasons. Has anything been erm.....tampered with recently? New carpets laid, or building work done that could have damaged a cable? Are all covers and lids securely fastened on the sensors, bell box, control panel lid, etc.

May sound a bit odd, but for some reason reports suggest that with this product, a low voltage from the internal back up battery or even the bell battery may cause it to 'tamper'. Generally the battery should be replaced about every 5 years, but I have known them last about 10.

Thanks for the reply. No work done for years. I did change the internal battery and thought this might cure it, but it didn't, although it was probably time for a new one. I'm not aware of one in the bell box. I'll check that out - I've never looked. If there was, it would have been in 17 years!

When you changed battery did you check that battery backup was working by isolating the electric?
If existing battery was faulty you could have blown fuse?
Is control panel lid on correctly?
You could start by isolating tamper circuit it see if fault on that circuit,if not you will need to isolate bell tamper,if you as then still having tampers it is to do with the control panel ?

Sponsored Links
A customer of mine had a similar problem a month or so ago. Over several visits, I linked out the tampers - global, then bell tamper - and checked the panel tamper. It turned out to be the panel battery (at least, I changed it and haven't been back since).

If you're lucky, you might be able to find the fault if it remains active. Next time it does it, try and reset the alarm. If you can, the fault must have gone away. If you can't, open the panel up and check the voltage across the global tamper and between the bell tamper and 0V. They should both be about 0V. If you have volts across the global tamper, check again but across each individual pair from the detectors/contacts. The one that has the volts is the one that's open circuit.

You may have "furry friends" eating your cables... (it's that time of year!)

Sorry, Christmas came along and this got put on the back burner. Unfortunately, though, it hasn't gone away!

I can reset the alarm with no problem on every occasion. The only light that illuminates is the very bottom tamper light - no circuit light comes on. So what does that suggest?

As a first job I'm going to label the whole lot up a bit better and then take each lead out and re-insert them, to make sure that all the connections are OK.

last time I went to one of these the battery and the fuse had gone and it was showing tamper.

Yale not rated, better to have a hard wired system working than a Yale wireless.

Turn the alarm with a door open & it will set according to Bernard (a regular here)

ps If you are fitting this with a view to keeping your Insurance Co happy, think again.

Thanks everyone for your help. I took all the device wires out one by one and soldered the ends and reconnected them. All appears OK now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back