How do I secure a corrugated plastic roof over a path?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have semi detached house and am looking for a way to cover the path that runs along the side of the house so we can use it for storage. I have been advised to use a clear corrrugated plastic roof which needs to be attached to the side wall of the house at angle to allow rain to run off into a gutter.

My question is, how should I fix the plastic roof to the house? I have been looking for a large metal frame or bracket that can support the roof but haven't found anything ie a triangular bracket to allow the roof to slope?

Can you recommend anything? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
assuming its about 5ft
you have a batton on the wall top and bottom with timber off say 2x2" treated every 30 to 40" going from top to bottom between the walls

you then have timber every 2 foot to 2ft 6 inches top to bottom paralell to the walls these are the only timbers that you need to support away from the edges

As I understand it, you do not have a structure on the other side of the path away from the house, is that right?

are you willing to have legs to hold the roof up, or do you want it to be solely supported by the house wall? This will require expensive cantilver construction as there will be quite a bit of leverage on the fixings.

Construct a mono-pitched cantilever frame. Nothing more that a few triangular trusses bolted to the wall

Corrugated sheets may need a lot of fixings (and supports), and so a large sheet of twinwall roof sheet may be more cost effective and easier to do

This type of roof is not going to prevent driving rain from an angle, and so you may not be able to rely on it keeping your stuff dry

Sponsored Links
must admit i thought a wall or fence :eek:
we need to know the span[ width and length] and what's around the edges to give useful advice
and as said abouv'e if its open then it needs to be off the ground and around 22 degrees in from the roof edge

Thanks for your help so far. Just to clarify, the roof need to be approx 1m wide, will run the length of the house, about 8m, and is not supported on the far side.

I'd be very grateful if you could tell me where I can buy the metal bracket or truss needed for this project, or if I'd be better off making it from wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back