How do I solve this flooring threshold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a varying depth, uneven but overall thin gap between a stone floor and enginnered laminate wood flooring, both sections laid on screed with underfloor heating. The gap is too narrow to fit a T-bar and I don't want to drill into the floor as the undefloor heating pipes are close to the screeds surface. What would be the best way to sort this out?

Thanks

IMG_4629_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
On the face of it, your jambs appear to be unequal? The one on the right is further forward than the jamb on the left?
The expansion gap is a bit narrow but will work.

Just nibble away at both ends of the transition piece to shape around the jambs, & slide the bar half way on tile and half way on the boards.
Or, you could undercut the jambs just enough to slide the bar under each jamb & again, land half way on each tile/wood.

On the face of it, your jambs appear to be unequal? The one on the right is further forward than the jamb on the left?
The expansion gap is a bit narrow but will work.

Just nibble away at both ends of the transition piece to shape around the jambs, & slide the bar half way on tile and half way on the boards.
Or, you could undercut the jambs just enough to slide the bar under each jamb & again, land half way on each tile/wood.

It's nearly a 200 year old house/cottage so no walls are even or straight. The threshold I bought required you to put a strip for it to lock into, but that wouldn't fit into the gap and without it it wouldn't stay in place. I might try and chisel out a section of the doorjambs and use them to secure the seperator.

I thought that you had a simple one piece bar transition.

However, you might be able to use the bar that you have without any need for the mounting strip.
By drilling it, and counter sinking the holes, & then "silver" headed screwing it to the floor.

Sponsored Links
I thought that you had a simple one piece bar transition.

However, you might be able to use the bar that you have without any need for the mounting strip.
By drilling it, and counter sinking the holes, & then "silver" headed screwing it to the floor.

I'm apprehensive of doing any drilling as I'll probably puncture the underfloor heating.

You dont drill the floor you drill the bar. You dont drill the bar while its in place you pre-drill it.

You can poke a shallow starter hole then screw down into that.

Use appropriate length screws for the fixing depth.

Cut the wood back with a Fein tool, then, simply glue a Square Edge Profile down leaving expansion gap on the wood side.

Don't use a T-Profile, they are notorious for cracking along the grain unless the floor surfaces are perfectly level to each other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back