How do I take a feed from these pipes for a dishwasher?

Sponsored Links
Using one of those yokes you'll need a male fitting.

To put the extra bit of pipe and reattach the valve after the T, is so you have an isolator on your sink tap again.

Screwing the ends of your flexi's straight onto compressions ends too tightly is an easy way to cut the rubber washer, the end of the fitting has a sharp edge, and it will leak.
Using an adapter or male iron, the mating face of the connector is wider and doesn't cut into the rubber washer when tightened.

Using one of those yokes you'll need a male fitting.

To put the extra bit of pipe and reattach the valve after the T, is so you have an isolator on your sink tap again.

Screwing the ends of your flexi's straight onto compressions ends too tightly is an easy way to cut the rubber washer, the end of the fitting has a sharp edge, and it will leak.
Using an adapter or male iron, the mating face of the connector is wider and doesn't cut into the rubber washer when tightened.

Well spotted on the male fitting requirement for the brass Y connector. Missed that.

I was just confused on the need for an isolation valve when there is already a shutoff valve on the T connector. Granted the T connector shuts off water to both connections but I would have that would be ample. Any how thanks for your input. I'll let ya know how I get on ;)

Sponsored Links
Nope, the valve on the T only shuts off the washing machine /dishwasher outlet, it doesn't affect the throughput of the water to what would be the tap flexi feed

Nope, the valve on the T only shuts off the washing machine /dishwasher outlet, it doesn't affect the throughput of the water to what would be the tap flexi feed

Awh, OK got you now. I was looking at it that it shut off water to 2 outlets. Once you mentioned "throughput" I am now looking at it differently. This may be a silly question...but let's take this image..

Screen_Shot_2015_11_01_at_21_58_34.png

Why isn't the male connection closest to the red plastic jobbie not connected to the main water inlet and both ends of the T connected to dishwasher & washing machine? Would that way not mean the blue twisty thingie would shut water off to both of them?

Because it's an appliance servicing valve. It allows you to isolate the appliance without isolating everything else downstream.

Because the male connection is where your appliance hose screws on, hence the lever controls the appliance only.

In your case, one of the remaining compression joints takes the incoming cold supply and the other takes a tap tail adaptor and feeds your kithcen tap.

Need a bit of quick advice guys.

Had a leaky nut so cut the olive off to make a fresh connection. Inserted a 15mm sleeve pipe support but before that I installed the nut and olive. Problem is that the olive isn't catching and the nut and olive are sliding straight off the pipe.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 139
Olive is too big is what you're saying? It is definitely Hep2o pipe? It does look like their older fittings. If it isn't, then you have the wrong inserts.

If so, just insert the pipe fully into fitting and hold fitting in place and give the nut half a turn while holding the fitting tight onto the pipe, that should compress the olive enough to hold it on, then tighten fully. Tip: Use copper olives, a bit softer, so easier to compress.

Olive is too big is what you're saying? It is definitely Hep2o pipe? It does look like their older fittings. If it isn't, then you have the wrong inserts.

If so, just insert the pipe fully into fitting and hold fitting in place and give the nut half a turn while holding the fitting tight onto the pipe, that should compress the olive enough to hold it on, then tighten fully. Tip: Use copper olives, a bit softer, so easier to compress.

Thanks mate I got it sorted. Problem was my own stupidity as I wasn't forcing the nut to compress the olive.

Whilst I have your attention, I unscrewed the isolation valve and installed the T valve in its place as directed above but I proceeded to connect the flexi to the T against Whitespirit66's advice as I wasn't sure how these (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p14081) connected to the T valve? How are they secured?

The T valve has 2 compression ends and one male 3/4" BSP.

Connect the left hand side compression to the grey feed pipe. I insert the smooth tail of the adapter into the right hand compression end, just like a piece of pipe, and tighten as normal, that then gives you a 15mm male end for the flexi to screw onto rather than screwing directly onto the compression fitting.
Washing machine hose then screws onto the 3/4" bsp end.

The T valve has 2 compression ends and one male 3/4" BSP.

Connect the left hand side compression to the grey feed pipe. I insert the smooth tail of the adapter into the right hand compression end, just like a piece of pipe, and tighten as normal, that then gives you a 15mm male end for the flexi to screw onto rather than screwing directly onto the compression fitting.
Washing machine hose then screws onto the 3/4" bsp end.

Again thanks mate, really appreciate all your help.

OK so I'm close to understanding all this lol. So I assume that when I insert the tail of the adaptor into the T valve I apply the nut & olive to it and tighten to the T valve? This is all I can think about to keep the adaptor in place. This does give me a 15mm male end for the flexi but if I'm to connect to the isolation valve I require a female connection on the adaptor then the iso valve gives me a male for the flexi. Hopefully I'm clear in explaining all that.

If you want to have it so you have - The feed pipe, then the T connected to that, then the ISO connected next and then the Flexi connected next then you will need a little piece of pipe and the adapter goes into the end of the ISO not the T.

That way you have > The Feed pipe into one side of the T compression, a little piece of pipe will be needed to go out the other side, that connects to the ISO valve, coming out the other side of the ISO is the adapter and then the Flexi connects to that.

full

If you want to have it so you have - The feed pipe, then the T connected to that, then the ISO connected next and then the Flexi connected next then you will need a little piece of pipe and the adapter goes into the end of the ISO not the T.

That way you have > The Feed pipe into one side of the T compression, a little piece of pipe will be needed to go out the other side, that connects to the ISO valve, coming out the other side of the ISO is the adapter and then the Flexi connects to that.

full

Thanks again mate.

After careful consideration and several beers I decided to drop the iso valve for 2 reasons; 1. The stopcock is close by & 2. I therefore felt this was all overkill given the close proximity to the former.

Here's the finished job..

IMG_2134.jpg

That connection you can see on the pipe with the PTFE tape was an absolute f***er of a thing to get to stop leaking. An olive & 15mm nut on the plastic pipe which I screwed the T valve into but it leaked. So I used PTFE tape on the threads and it still leaked so I blamed the threads on the T valve and bought a branded one (Pegler) but it still leaked so I changed the nut, olive and pipe insert and it still dripped, albeit slightly. So I applied PTFE tape to the new T valve threads with the the new nut, olive & insert and still I could see slight seepage. Damn frustrating to say the least but I persevered and after tightening the nut as tight as I could go without wrecking the threads I managed to get it stopped. It was obviously a pipe issue but what I don't know, either that or I had a run of bad luck.

The job was in my mum's house so she knows to keep an eye on it and I'll check next time down to make sure it's dry. But I gathered that after waiting for over an hour and seeing no sign of water it was safe for me to leave.

What do you think was the cause of that leak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back