How do I test this extractor please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason we've had it turned off and it's no longer spinning up. Only used it a few times.

It was wired to come on with the light but I also popped an isolation switch outside the room and had a spark wire it all up.

I've got the multimeter. Just wondering what probe where and what setting. I reckon a seized motor as its a bit damp but just need to be sure.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the impeller wont spin by hand, with the power OFF, most if not all should spin freely

I've got the multimeter. Just wondering what probe where and what setting.
Black in the black COM socket. Red in the V or Volts socket. Do not use the Amps / A socket.
Set to AC volts, if it has a choice of voltages it needs to be above 240V - usually 1000 on cheap meters.
The two probes on the two terminal screws which have wires in them.

If you get 240V or somewhere near that, the fan is bust.
If not, then the switch is off, defective, loose connection elsewhere, etc.

Sponsored Links
Well not exactly on the terminals, its embossed on the white casing, yet further over it also has N and T, so i quess the casings used on numerous fans and maybe on an ELV fan as well

First test is mechanical ; do the fan blades spin freely. If not then fan is seized. If they do spin freely, then with power applied and fan doesn't rotate, confirm you have voltage across the incoming terminals. If you do have volts and fan doesn't rotate then fan is goosed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back