How do i thread this cable up cavity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wanted to thread this cable for external light up cavity but we have cavity insulation albeit very flaky. I have ceiling off at moment you see so easy access at top.
It's literally about 1m from top of wall any tips. Thanks.

Attachments

• 15715053589177418873485814005279.jpg
    15715053589177418873485814005279.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 663
Sponsored Links
Cables in cavity are frowned upon for several reasons. One meter down the outside wall would not be particularly obtrusive in my opinion.

But it's really only safe from wall-filling material interactions if enclosed in a conduit.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the op wanted some advice on how to get the cable through the cavity.

Assuming the hole is at a steep angle, the cheapest way is to get some wire coat hangers, straighten them out, tape them together, and push up hole, and tie cable to the folded over end.

If you haven't got any coat hangers, go to the dry cleaners and pester them.

Cable rods good for this too.

It can be a problem, in the past I have used a pipe same size as drill and pushed drill through the wall with pipe so it goes through the insulation without the insulation falling into the hole, then cutting pipe to length.

The video linked to by AndyPRK is how NOT to do it, holes should always go slightly up, not down, so water will not flow into the wall.

I suspect the op wanted some advice on how to get the cable through the cavity.

Assuming the hole is at a steep angle, the cheapest way is to get some wire coat hangers, straighten them out, tape them together, and push up hole, and tie cable to the folded over end.

If you haven't got any coat hangers, go to the dry cleaners and pester them.

Cable rods good for this too.
The Range sell wire coat hangers cheaply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back