How do I "Tie" a new roof to stone walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-roofing an old stone barn. The roof and trusses have gone a long time ago! I need to fit new roof trusses which I have drawings for - How do I attach these to the tops of the stone walls - do I need to lay and fix a purling (is that the right word - a thick plank) along the top of the walls - if so how is this fixed into place and are the trusses then just nailed onto the purlin??

Mike

Sponsored Links
The plank at the top of the wall is called a wall plate and is usually (100x50mm ) use right angled galvanised straps to hold it down (ifit doesnt matter if they show or the inner walls are to be plastered)they are a meter long with a shorter section bent over at right angles and should be placed 1m apart along the wall plate screwed down to the timber and fixed with plugs and screws to the wall there is no need to fill all the holes.
If it matters if they show then use chemical fixings drilled down into the masonry.
If you are actually fitting a trussed roof then the trusses should be fixed with truss clips, or if you are fitting a cutt roof then the rafters are just nailed to the wall plate

Many old buildings neccesatate a concrete ring beam as they are to unstable for the traditional wall plate, something you will need to take expert advise first hand on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back