How do I trowel a "flat bed" for floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I was looking at some Wickes floor tiles and it states they need to be bedded
in on a flat bed.

I need to raise my floor up a bit - so a 10mm deep bed of powdered adhesive mix
would be handy, but how do you apply a deep bed?

Normally you'd use a notched trowel to get the right depth, but I cannot see how you
can trowel in consistently at the right depth (or do you have to keep adjusting with level)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks. Stephen

Sponsored Links
I was looking at some Wickes floor tiles and it states they need to be bedded
in on a flat bed.
A “flat bed” adhesive base is achieved by using the correct solid bed notched trowel not by physically troweling the adhesive base flat.

I need to raise my floor up a bit - so a 10mm deep bed of powdered adhesive mix
would be handy, but how do you apply a deep bed?
Doing it like that will most likely end in disaster & it will be almost impossible to keep the tile surface flat & looking good. Adhesive bed thickness is usually around 3-6mm, it can be built up locally but even the best cement powder adhesives should only be used up to 12mm & only locally as stated. You first need to raise the floor to the desired level using a self levelling screed or a proprietary quickset render; do not use a conventional sand/cement render to screed, it will fail at that thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back