How do I turn this radiator off?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a small radiator in my kitchen and since moving in I've not properly looked at turning it off until now - but with rising heating costs etc I'd like to. Pic 1 is on the left side, pic 2 is on the right side - all the other radiators have thermostatic valves, and look quite different, so I'm not sure which side to turn, in which direction, etc. Could anyone give me some advice? The right hand side is actually upside down (so the knob to turn is at the bottom). PS I know it looks a bit of a state - in my defence that's how it was when I moved in and it's fairly hidden from view!

PXL_20221122_191221348.MP.jpg

PXL_20221122_191247955.jpg

Sponsored Links
Before you do, make sure you don't _need_ to have one radiator always on.

It's fairly common for one rad - often the towel rail - to be left without a TRV. Not entirely sure why - probably something to do with pump overrun or allowing the boiler to cool itself back down.

It's fairly common for one rad - often the towel rail - to be left without a TRV. Not entirely sure why - probably something to do with pump overrun or allowing the boiler to cool itself back down.
Ah interesting - how would I find that out?

Probably when someone comes along and tells me that my caution is *******s!

Your boiler manual (installation) might have some guidance. I just had a look at the manual for my Bosch Greenstar i, and it says:

> All radiators must have
> TRVs fitted in all rooms except bathrooms and rooms with thermostats.

Which makes total sense - unless you have smart TRVs.

Sponsored Links

Quite right, on older systems, it was acceptable practice to have a radiator with 2 lockshield valves on it that acted as a bypass, that would to allow the pump to run on and allow min flow through the boiler till it cools and shuts down.

It's not the standard any more and systems are now fitted with an internal or auto bypass.

OP, as suggested you need to get out your boiler manual and check. Or give us your boiler make and model.

Thanks guys, it definitely looks like both are lockshield valves so that would explain it. I have a combi boiler, specifically the Ideal Logic+ C30 model. I've had a look at the handbook and it doesn't mention anything about radiators at all.

I am trying to just heat one room up over winter with just one radiator. All the others are now turned off apart from this one in the kitchen, so it's not the end of the world if I need it to stay on, but I guess It'd save me a bit of money if I can get it off.

The Ideal manual says this:

"Heating systems utilising full thermostatic radiator valve control
of temperature in individual rooms should also be fitted with a
room thermostat controlling the temperature in a space served by
radiators not fitted with such a valve.

When thermostatic radiator valves are used, the space heating
temperature control over a living / dining area or hallway having
a heating requirement of at least 10% of the minimum boiler heat
output should be achieved using a room thermostat, whilst other
rooms are individually controlled by thermostatic radiator valves.
However, if the system employs thermostatic radiator valves on all
radiators, or two port valves, then a bypass circuit must be fitted
with an automatic bypass valve to ensure a flow of water should
all valves be in the closed position.
"

Not a plumber, but I'd interpret that as you probably do need at least one radiator without a TRV, unless the installer specifically added a bypass circuit. Doesn't necessarily have to be that specific radiator though.

Where's your room thermostat? Ideally you want it in the area you're heating.

The Ideal manual says this:

"Heating systems utilising full thermostatic radiator valve control
of temperature in individual rooms should also be fitted with a
room thermostat controlling the temperature in a space served by
radiators not fitted with such a valve.

When thermostatic radiator valves are used, the space heating
temperature control over a living / dining area or hallway having
a heating requirement of at least 10% of the minimum boiler heat
output should be achieved using a room thermostat, whilst other
rooms are individually controlled by thermostatic radiator valves.
However, if the system employs thermostatic radiator valves on all
radiators, or two port valves, then a bypass circuit must be fitted
with an automatic bypass valve to ensure a flow of water should
all valves be in the closed position.
"

Not a plumber, but I'd interpret that as you probably do need at least one radiator without a TRV, unless the installer specifically added a bypass circuit. Doesn't necessarily have to be that specific radiator though.

Where's your room thermostat? Ideally you want it in the area you're heating.

Thanks for this, that's how I'd interpret it too so better to be safe I guess - just means I'll have a slightly warmer kitchen which is no terrible thing! Thermostat is a wireless one, so I just move it around to whichever room I want heated if that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back