How do I use this waste pipe for a washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage there is a waste pipe going into the soil stack, and I'd like to connect my washing machine there.

Am I going to get raw sewage backing up into the machine?

Presumably I need to get some kind of U bend pipe. I found this on Wickes: http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431915

How do I connect this to the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Am I going to get raw sewage backing up into the machine?
Is there raw sewage in that plastic bag???
Same answer to both of our questions.

How do I connect this to the pipe?
Presumably I need to get some kind of U bend pipe. I found this on Wickes:
Washing-Machine-Trap_medium.jpg

I love people who answer their own questions correctly. ;)

Always a risk of sewage escaping from a lower connection should the drain block and an upstairs appliance be discharged, should that ever happen dont use the upstairs bathroom until drain is cleared!

Trap will connect to that pipe assuming that pipe is 40mm dia. If the smaller 32mm dia pipe then it's not recommended to connect a washing machine to it as the machine may pump the water out faster than the 32mm pipe can take it away....

If you need to extend whats there, buy a 40mm 'compression coupling' and a length of 40mm pipe to extend existing. Clip pipe to wall as required.

I went for it, and bought a pipe and non-return value from Screwfix (which is a little bit closer to my house)

Pipe: http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640
NRV: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-t28m-nrv-40mm-non-return-valve-white/61561

I couldn't figure out how to connect the valve to the pipe because it has a 40mm thread on both ends, so I need some kind of female-to-female adapter to get it on.

I managed to get the pipe connected to the waste, and it was pretty disgusting. There was a little wooden cap, which when removed revealed a little bit of poo :(

Rubber gloves to the rescue.

Sponsored Links
The trap is, but the valve is not (as far as I can tell).

I tried attaching the valve to the waste pipe and it didn't "grip" like the trap did. It has a thread so I can't see how it could grip. But the trap has a thick rubber seal which gripped the waste pipe nicely.

My last post doesn't make much sense because you changed yours :)

If I cut the plastic, how will that make it easier to attach a thread? I'm confused.

The McAlpine T28M-NRV has 40mm compression ends complete with rubber seals. Just like the trap.

If what you've got doesn't then take it back.

My last post doesn't make much sense because you changed yours :)

If I cut the plastic, how will that make it easier to attach a thread? I'm confused.

I'm trying to post and get the kids and luggage in the car to go on holiday, shouldn't mix the two really :p

Undo nut, slide nut then plastic washer and rubber washer onto pipe. (Make sure they're in that order and the rubber washer is facing the right way). Offer valve onto pipe (make sure this is the right way round too or it'll get messy.....) Once pipe is 'home' inside fitting, slide nut and washers back and tighten hand tight.

Repeat with other end and remaining fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back