How do I wire a Nest Heat Link to Ideal Logic+ 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have seen several threads on Nest to Ideal wiring, but I haven't been able to see a solution for my issue.

I am just in the process of putting my Nest V3 (heat link) to my Ideal logic+ Combi 24 [see link 1 for the boiler manual]. The boiler already has a RF Mechanical Thermostat plugged in, which I have unplugged from the boiler [see Pic 1 below].

I have wired the Nest as seen in Pic 2 below. I have left the link (red wire) in the boiler as-is (between room stat/timer terminals), and I have simply unplugged the RF thermostat and left as-is per Pic 1 below.

Problem Statement:
I am unable to get the heating to come on when using the Nest thermostat. I can get hot water only but no heating. When I plug the RF thermostat (pic 1) back into the boiler, I can also get the heating to work.

Q1. Is the red link wire between room stat/timer terminals needed, or should I permanently remove? I have tried to test by keeping and removing the link wire in the boiler but it makes no difference.

Q2. Is my wiring diagram, as per Pic 2 correct?

Q3. I believe the Logic 24 has capability to support Opentherm (no harness needed? not 100% sure), looking at Pic 3, can I wire the Nest v3 so that I take benefit of Opentherm feature? Not sure how that wiring would work? Can anyone help.

Link 1 - Boiler Manual
http://www.freeboilermanuals.com/assets/pdf/ideal/204978.pdf

Pic 1 - RF Mechanical programmable Room Thermostat
pic1.jpg

Pic 2 - Wiring diagram between Nest Heat link and Boiler

pic2.jpg

Pic 3 - Wiring diagram in the boiler manual
pic3.jpg

Pic 4 - OpenTherm Temp Control
pic5.jpg

Attachments

• Nest Heat Link.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 854
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You phone a Gassafe engineer who will carry out the proper 26-9 safety checks as you have compromised the boiler combustion panel and ask him to wire the Nest in for you ;)

Sponsored Links
You phone a Gassafe engineer who will carry out the proper 26-9 safety checks as you have compromised the boiler combustion panel and ask him to wire the Nest in for you ;)

^^^THIS^^^

Removing the front cover from the boiler is for Gas Safe Registered Engineers only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back