How do pop-up plugs fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And more to the point. what can be done? :)

Using my bath to store water ( water works in the street and supply cut off) I discovered the plug allows a slow drain. No big worry, I shower rather than bath anyway. But now my basin plug won't click down!
Can anything be done about either or is replacement needed? ( I have siliconed the bath panel in place and am reluctant to remove it)

Sponsored Links
And more to the point. what can be done? :)

Using my bath to store water ( water works in the street and supply cut off) I discovered the plug allows a slow drain. No big worry, I shower rather than bath anyway. But now my basin plug won't click down!
Can anything be done about either or is replacement needed? ( I have siliconed the bath panel in place and am reluctant to remove it)
I think there are many differing mechanisms...In general I would guess a bit seizes up and needs dismantling/ lubricating.....or an "o" ring somewhere hardens,wears. If o ring..few wraps of ptfe tape gets you away.In general it is a case of having a good look and patience without taking a hammer to it!!!.With bath plug...maybe its threaded and few turns clockwise will give bit more downward pressure...Otherwise turn anti clock til it comes off and have a look..Might be just gunked up

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back