How do you drill floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I'm laying my new floor with 7mm floor tiles. I bought an electric cutter today to do the straight lines but tried to drill a hole with a masonry bit on non hammer action and got absolutely nowhere. Is this possible or do I have to cut a block out & grout it back in?

Sponsored Links
sounds like a plan. How would I use a guide to position the bit on the tile?

Are there any examples online?

If it's a large hole i.e. 10mm or more you will be using a diamond core drill - I think it's fine to drill a hole through a piece of wood or other tile cut off first and use that as a guide - that's my plan and haven't tried it yet but can't see why it would not work. ps ebay has good priced diamond drills though again haven't recieved/used mine yet but I imagine should be fine for a few DIY holes.

Sponsored Links
Laura's drill is a touch fast IMO :LOL: A bit of water wouldn't go a miss either. :p
However, I'm prepared to show Laura the ins and outs or core drilling anytime. ;)

What kind of tiles and how big a hole?
The kind of tile is irrelevant - if a masonry bit won't do it, a diamond bit will be required. The size of the hole won't alter this fact either - jefoss called it right.

Well, I was sort of angling between a diamond core (larger hole) and a tile bit for smaller ones.

If by "tile bit" you mean those flat bits shaped like a trowel, they're no good for hard tiles like porcelain.

Hmm, I was thinking possibly ceramic tiles, but at 7mm , probably not :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back