How do you get wire out of telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you remove the wire which comes from outside into a master socket (i.e. A and B terminals?

I thought I'd better ask before yanking the wire and causing more bad than good

I have a modern socket where the wires are terminated using that fancy tool which trims the end of the wire when you push down

Sponsored Links
Old ones unscrew, some, you use the hook that comes out the side of your krone tool, newer ones, you lift up the flap that holds the wires.

Picture?

The punch down tool for making those IDC connections, includes a hooked implement to help tug the wires back out. The proper tool is not expensive and will be worth buying - you will need it.

The punch down tool for making those IDC connections, includes a hooked implement to help tug the wires back out. The proper tool is not expensive and will be worth buying - you will need it.
Cost me about £9 when i bought it last week from TLC :D

Now that it has been mentioned, i have noticed the hook.

Will give it a go.. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
How do you remove the wire which comes from outside into a master socket (i.e. A and B terminals?

You don't. It is not yours to interfere with. Anything up to and including the master socket is the property of either Open Reach or Virgin Media and must not be touched.

You don't. It is not yours to interfere with. Anything up to and including the master socket is the property of either Open Reach or Virgin Media and must not be touched.
I wouldn't dream of touching Open Reach's precious equipment

After watching a couple youtube videos last week on telephone wiring i got inspired to give it a go.

So i purchased some nte5 boxes, the push down tool, jelly crimps, telephone wire etc.

However after cutting and terminating some wire, i realised that i could not get the wire out.

As i couldn't find the answer in the youtube videos, i rushed here.

Glad i did too :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back