Telephone master socket wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My golden retriever thought it would be fun to pull on the telephone wire on the outside of the house. The consequence being that she pulled the wire out of the master socket. There appears to be 4 wires - orange, black, green, and white. There are 3 screw-down terminals labelled A, B, and E. Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which terminal?

Sponsored Links
A B are the line, ignore E

Gr and BL to B and A

OR

Or and Wh to B and A

Depends which pair BT used.

Bear in mind if you have broadband, with some, polarity is important.

I found that out when doing telephone work recently.

If you reverse polarity, broadband does not recognise the fact that a line is present. Furthermore, you cannot dial out. Well, you CAN, but the number is not recognised.

I have a plug in tester which tells you the polarity of AB and whether you have term 3 connected.

It was made by AX, but they no longer make them, so try Googling plug-in telephone wiring tester.....

Sponsored Links
Assuming only a single line to the house, it will likely be on the orange/white pair. The green/black would normally only be used in such a case if the first pair had developed a fault and the line had been swapped to the second pair.

The standard for this new cabling is white for ring (B) and orange for tip (A). That is completely contrary to the long established convention of white being in the tip group of colors and orange in the ring group, but then BT has not always been logical!

P.S. If the line does happen to be on the second pair, then the standard coding is green=A, black=B.

swapping the A and B connections won't effect a normal phone but some modems have been known to be fussy

you should be able to test with a multimeter set on DC voltage but im not sure which way round is normal off the top of my head

In our area, Orange and White are generally the first line, Green and Black either spare or a second line.

Polarity is not normally important (hadn't heard that it made a difference to caller ID, I will experiment).

Orange and Green is usually B. Although when DP's are wired, very often the pairs become reversed.

plugwash said:
you should be able to test with a multimeter set on DC voltage but im not sure which way round is normal off the top of my head
Tip/A = Positive, Ring/B = Negative.

As telephone supplies have the positive side grounded, on an idle line you should read about -50V to ground on the B wire, zero on A.

plugwash said:
swapping the A and B connections won't effect a normal phone but some modems have been known to be fussy

Lectrician said:
Polarity is not normally important (hadn't heard that it made a difference to caller ID, I will experiment).

As already described, my customer could not access internet with his broadband modem (some are polarity sensitive), and furthermore, the phone would not dial out. It would physically dial the number, but would without fail announce the number as "not recognised".

When I reversed polarity, everything worked as it should.

Maybe due to a fault on the ringer cct - this is polarity dependant.

Don't think so, I have fully tested the system and it is aOK....

Even BT were baffled!

securespark said:
furthermore, the phone would not dial out. It would physically dial the number, but would without fail announce the number as "not recognised"
I assume you could hear DTMF being sent as you pressed the buttons? Did the first digit dialed break the dialtone?

At what point did you cut over to the "Not recognized" recording? Was it on the initial digit, or were you able to dial the full number before getting it? Or did it just timeout to the recording?

If the phone was actually sending DTMF tones, then the only thing I can think of is that the tone generator was either sending off-frequency or at a reduced amplitude when the polarity was reversed.

Indeed. It would dial the number normally, but instead of a ringing tone, you would get the message.

Yes, you could hear the DTMF, and the first digit broke the dial tone.

As I say, even BT engineers were baffled...

But that does not mean too much. I mean, I'm not being rude, but if you go to one GP, s/he may not be aware of a particular health problem whereas others may. Same with engineers, too.

Well, I used to be one of those BT engineers, and I can't say I've ever come across this problem before.

Some of the early TouchTone phones were fussy about polarity, but a reversal would just prevent the tone generator from working at all. In fact with the exchange equipment in use at that time it was quite normal for the line polarity to reverse upon supervision, so you could dial normally but the DTMF pad would become inoperative once the called party answered.

Off-frequency tones with reversed polarity is the only possibility I can see which makes any sense. The only way I can see for that to happen is if part of the bridge rectifier feeding line power to the DTMF generator was faulty. It's certainly a strange fault, whatever the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back