How do you handle wise guys?

Sponsored Links
??

And what is wrong with that sentiment
Been running a business for 30 odd years, as such bad payers are removed from list for future work.
Last month went to a boiler where the guy was bleating about repair costs before I even got there. Gave him price for initial one hour visit. Looked at the boiler to indicate the heat exchanger was leaking, showed it to him, gave him a price and said there would be a charge for coming out if he did not want to proceed with the repair.

Once he got the price for the part and labour as well, he starts to back pedal. Told him to keep the money as I will waive the callout charge. Why would you think I should pay him another visit FOC when the boiler really starts leaking??

??

And what is wrong with that sentiment
Been running a business for 30 odd years, as such bad payers are removed from list for future work.
Last month went to a boiler where the guy was bleating about repair costs before I even got there. Gave him price for initial one hour visit. Looked at the boiler to indicate the heat exchanger was leaking, showed it to him, gave him a price and said there would be a charge for coming out if he did not want to proceed with the repair.

Once he got the price for the part and labour as well, he starts to back pedal. Told him to keep the money as I will waive the callout charge. Why would you think I should pay him another visit FOC when the boiler really starts leaking??
He goes on the barred list.
Once I was bothered by this guy with wrong attitude from the start.
He asked me if I would be bothered to get out of bed and give him a quote for a new kitchen.
As I was working in the same street I said, ok, what time you want me there.
He said "early morning".
I showed up at 6.30.
Looked at the filthy kitchen 3m x 2m and quoted him for 3 different qualities.
He came up with "how much profit you're gonna make? I'm not paying you more than £500 in labour and I wanna see the material receipts.
I left without saying another word.
He came to see me at the other house I was working on and asked when I could start.
I said I was busy making £500 a day and to find another carpenter.
He said all people he had called for quotes didn't want the job.
I wonder why...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back