How do you power down an alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing to add a couple of sockets in the garage.
To do so means switching off electricity.
As soon as I do so the alarm goes off.
I have tried removing the battery but it still goes off.
Any ideas?
Cheers.

b/w the alawm is a Honeywell Accenta/Optima

Sponsored Links
You need to change the battery in the main panel (the one you have tried disconnecting). Let the new one charge for a day or so, then you should be able to work in silence when you turn the mains off. Try not to leave it off for more than 7 or 8 hours if you can, as the panel may struggle to recharge the battery if it discharges too much.

You may want to check that there is about 13 volts on the battery leads when you remove the old battery. If there is'nt, check the battery fuse is OK as it may have blown if the battery is very old...

The alarm is less than 1 year old - I will check the battery tomorrow to see if its charging.
If the battery is fully charged then once the mains are isolated, the alarm would still work but using battery supply instead of mains.
Cheers

It's rare but possible that the battery is stuffed even if it's less than a year old. Either that or it was second hand when fitted...

As above, I would suggest even more now that you check the battery fuse aswell.

Sponsored Links
Checked the battery today - 13v.
Checked the fuse for the battery and its blown.
Its not a type fuse I've seen before so will need to wait until Monday for wholesaler to open.
Here's hoping this is problem solved.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back