How do you relieve system pressure ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just tiled my bathroom floor - took radiator off so I could put tiles with drilled holes for pipes down.

Replaced radiator - turned water on - there didn't seem to be any pressure because the hot water thro the tap wasn't heating up and the dial was at 0 bar so opened the cold fill loop to raise it. Heard a big dollop of trapped air go through and pressure shot up to 3 bar.

I have tried turning the water off and bleeding some of the radiators till the pressure drops to 0 bar but as soon as I turn the water back on it goes up to 3 bar.

Boiler is a Greenstar 30si

Any help, before or even after something explodes, would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Have you tried draining the rads?

How about the boiler? Try draining that, only slightly until the pressure drops?

Hi IronNaz

Do you mean completely drain the rads ? and then refill ? do I turn the water off first (pls dont go durrrr!!! if thats an obvious thing)

If I was to drain the boiler how would I go about that ?

Hello my friend

You wouldnt need to drain them comepletely, just slightly drain them. Get someone to stand near the gauge on the boiler to tell you when its dropped to the correct pressure then shut the drain valve on the rad.

Have you got the intructions to your boiler? In their you will find a section on how to drain down the boiler. Not being experienced myself i dont wanna advise you wrong, but you'll have a section on your manual how to drain the boiler, but only drain it until pressure gets to what you want!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have got a closed iso valve or stuck diverter.
Make sure all the radiators are fully open.
When the pressure is at zero, measure the charge on the expansion vessel.

Hi guys

Checked all rad valves open - bled via a hosepipe from valve on rad downstairs and initially press dropped to 2.5 bar but even as it was bleeding the press shot up to 3 bar and stayed there - and I was draining for an hour - any clues?

In the words of that famous philosopher Homer Simpson "Doh!!!" and again, for good measure, "Doh!!!".

What an absolute plonker I am - yes, Mr Goldspoon, I did leave the filling loop open, only God knows how I managed to do that, probably a bit of panic seeing it shoot up like that.

Many thanks for the suggestion and thanks to IronNaz and Bengasman as well for getting involved

If there is an "Idiot of the week" competition I am sure someone will nominate me!!!!!!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back