How do you sort this gap out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having a new door put in by my joiner on Monday.

There was a lot of movement on the frame.
I took the trims off and there is a gap around the frame with some wooden blocks

What is the best thing to stabilise the frame and can o get really long screws that will bite to the brick rather than the blocks.

It’s a 200 year old mill!

Attachments

• IMG_7059.jpeg
    IMG_7059.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
I still use blocks now lol you can get long hex masonry screws that don’t need a wall plug but you have to be careful it doesn’t pull the frame in hence the blocks

Depending on the size of the gap which I’d guess 1 inch? You could mix some 4:1 mortar push it in then push some slate in or use expanding foam or a mixture of the two
Best wishes
Jake

from what i can see and i could be wrong you need to remove the screws and the block with the 3 bricks and re-cement
you could go 2 bricks below and above and 2 new wooden or plastic folding wedges [cheese wedge on top off cheese wedge ] pushed together till pushing the wood/leg out by 0.5mm too much nail into position with 2 pins/small nails then hole for screw fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back