How do you want to pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a purchase of vouchers in Tesco the other day, you have to go to a "customer service desk" to get them. I asked the person for thirty pounds in vouchers "please" offering one twenty, and one ten pound note, holding them across the desk in front of this person expecting them to take it; NO WAY! I was asked instead "how do you wish to pay, card or cash?" So looked at the people behind me who now all had the look of surprise on their faces and briefly explained to the person that in the old days we called this cash - offering the money again. Maybe it's me.

Sponsored Links
It was a bit daft (to say the least) of the cashier to ask how you wanted to pay having seen the money......

Went to Mont St Michel last time we were in France. One of the guys there invited me to pay for something by visa or travellers cheques. When I offered euro's, he declined!!!

securespark said:
It was a bit daft (to say the least) of the cashier to ask how you wanted to pay having seen the money......

Went to Mont St Michel last time we were in France. One of the guys there invited me to pay for something by visa or travellers cheques. When I offered euro's, he declined!!!
Maybe they did see the money maybe not? but they are trained to say certain things to the customer and sometimes (especially if it's been a long day) it probably comes out automatically without thought,supermarket staff are treated appallingly both by customers and by the companies so it's no wonder that from time to time they switch off, so be kind i'm sure you've had bad days too in the past. :)

Maybe they did see the money maybe not? but they are trained to say certain things to the customer and sometimes (especially if it's been a long day) it probably comes out automatically without thought,

Made me smile this kendor, reminded me of the time a double glazing salesman trying to sell us windows. He was in our house and after about 5 minutes spiel the phone rang. I answered the phone then apologised and asked him to go on. He was baffled and said I will have to start from the beginning again. I reckon he must of been indoctrinated with the company patter. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
its the production line mentality that goes with that sort of job. i worked in woolworths when i was a kid and when it was customer after customer, you just used the same questions and were almost blind as to what went on. even if you tried your hardest not to, the monotany of the task does it.

By the way whats cash? my missus spends all mine so i never see it :D

I suppose the "automaton" mentality could be excused.

It's one of those things like you get asked after paying at a Pizza Hut - "hope you enjoyed your meal?" as the cashier turns to the next customer. I do tend to then say to them "Excuse me, you asked me a question!" They then take on a highly confused look as they rack their brains to try to remember what they asked.

Back