How does my DIY effort at a consumer unit look?

try looking at 433.1.103.
Try looking at the rest of 433, and grasping the fact that 433.1.103 allows an exception for ring finals serving BS 1363 accessories etc from the general rule requiring Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz. With 2.5mm² conductors on a B20 no exception is required (installation method permitting).

I wonder what BS1363 devices the OP has used in his cooker circuit?
He doesn't need to.

Also, just for information, have you looked at the notes in appendix 15. What does it say about cookers and similar devices with a rating over 2kW?
It says it should be on a dedicated radial circuit, which it almost certainly is.

What do you mean 'historical purposes'?
Continuing to allow the traditional ring final, which was introduced for reasons of expediency but logically should not be permitted?

Maybe not, but why would anyone bother with such a circuit at the point of installation? What benefit would you get?
Resilience. Reduced voltage drop.

Well done bas, i Know you know all of the above, but my post was really directed toward mfarrow, as you can see from the way i quoted him/her

Sponsored Links
Thanks re. the oven ring. Seems counter-intuitive to take out one of the cables in some ways, but it can be done easily. Maybe I should ask BC which they'd prefer? I was going just to use a standard cooker socket on the other end.

As for attaching the SWA, I've attached a photo but if I pulled the plastic sleeve back then I don't think I'd get it back on with it how it is. I copied this from the previous installation, which had no other earthing. It does touch the CU box, which is definitely properly earthed. And it may have been earthed at the other end, I guess that would make more sense.

Couple of people also asked about the bonding. Here are a couple of photos, but this is just what was already there, this isn't my work. But looks ok to my untrained eye...

Glanding looks wrong to me.
No support for the incoming cables outside the CU?

Sponsored Links
You mentioned earlier that 25mm incoming earth would not fit in the board that could be because you only need a 16mm from the main earthing terminal to the Consumer Unit. You also only need 10mm for the main protective bonding which generally includes water and mains gas.

(a)10mm cable should be connected within 600mm of the utility entering the house on the consumer side of the stop cock and run back to either the main earthing terminal or the earth terminal in the consumer unit.

Your picture of the pipes being bonded together does not show this and I would conclude is wrong.
You appear to have your ch and hot water pipes bonded together why?
You should ensure that (a) is in place first.

Finally your consumer unit tails should be 25mm2 are they? They look more like 16mm2 to me.

Well done bas, i Know you know all of the above, but my post was really directed toward mfarrow, as you can see from the way i quoted him/her

Which is why I've thanked him for responding on my behalf, which is normal on an open forum.

If you wish for me to answer personally, please stipulate this in your response, or PM me with your query.

Which is why I've thanked him for responding on my behalf, which is normal on an open forum.
I'm not certain he was responding on your behalf, as in the first part he has added the suggestion that you look at the whole of section 433. I doubt that was for my benefit as it would seem obvious that for me to point out a regulation within that section, it would suggest that i was already aware of its existence.
If you wish for me to answer personally, please stipulate this in your response, or PM me with your query.

Thats a bit uptight and stuffy.

Couldn't you tell that I was canvassing your opinion? I thought it seemed fairly obvious.

Looks a bit messy, but the single module RCBO's take up a lot of space so I think you can be forgiven for the untidiness. Seen a lot of boards worse than that fitted by so called "electricians"! I also think that the tails look more like 16mm2 rather than 25mm2.

corrected after typo!

Looks a bit messy, but the single module RCBO's take up a lot of space so I think you can be forgiven for the untidiness. Seen a lot of boards worse than lack fitted by so called "electricians"! I also think that the tails look more like 16mm2 rather than 25mm2.

lack fitted?? please elaborate?

Do you mean double insulated tails??

Dont you mean SWA? :?:

Let's have a look at the SWA gland.

You should be able to remove the shroud and put it back.

I trust all the armouring is in good contact with the gland.

Let's have a look at the SWA gland, then you might get some peace and quiet.

I do apologize, when I said "lack" I actually meant to say "that".

Do you mean double insulated tails??

Do you mean insulated and sheathed singles?

I simply meant the incoming supply conductors look like 16mm2 not 25mm2!

BAS, the(unqualified, trade-less sad know it all) Minister for Electrical Installations without portfolio wrote:

And the reason that it's OK for DIYers to work to lower safety and knowledge levels than professionals is what, exactly?

It's cheaper? It's more fun to DIY? It's not that difficult to do minor jobs? It winds you up?
You frequently call people names like cretin, t*wat, etc. If you can't help in the spirit of DIY then go and ram your 17th edition where the sun don't shine, along with the other 16 editions if there's room.
35k know it all sanctimonious posts and not even a sparky- it's funny watching people thank you in the belief they're talking to someone qualified...

Do you mean insulated and sheathed singles?

No i meant double insulated have a look at http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Tails_Meter_New/index.html

You didnt say incoming supply conductors you said tails and its clearly SWA.

would you like me to post countless other links that say 6181Y are insulated and sheathed singles to argue my point?

You are right I did mention tails originally but answered this to you with this post;

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back