How drill whole through travertine tile and brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I need to install a extractor fan to our bathroom. I need get the 100mm duct through travertine tile (without damage) and thick brick wall (100yrs old mid terrace).

Please can you advice best tools.. I got a normal hammerdrill. Ive been told buy a diamond drill bit, but love to hear your opinions and recommendations! Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a diamond core drill. Don't try putting a 100mm core bit in a normal drill as it will destroy your drill and break your wrist shoulc it catch something.

I would also imagine you will not like the price of a 100mm diamond core.

Go speak to your local hire shop.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I assume you mean I should get a sds drill, right?

Ive been looking at those diamond drill bits, do I need a separate one for the tile and then the brick wall? Looks like the ones for brick/concrete have 4 big 'teeth' while tile ones have several small diamond coated 'teeth'. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Can you get/do you have spare, tiles for the wall?

PS - yes, of course you should have an SDS drill - everyone should. Look for s/h SDS+ or SDS Max drills on eBay - go for good makes like Bosch (blue, not green), Hilti etc. Get a corded one - they're heavy enough as it is without the weight of a battery to contend with.

Sponsored Links
Dont think we have spare ones anymore Im afraid.. we used travertine seconds bought on Ebay, as we had a friend whos excellent tiler and the walls look like they were super expensive!

I will look for a SDS drill for sure. Just wonder if I have to get two differnt drill bits? A friend of mine said I could drill the brick with the same drill bit as the travertine, but as the wall is like 30cm deep not sure how to proceed - need extensio bits or?

Many thanks appreciate your help!

If you try to stitch drill on hammer setting through the tile and the wall and then chisel it out you will wish you had a spare tile(s).

Check with your tiler friend, but I don't think there'll be any realistic way to cut through the tile other than a diamond core. And I'd not be surprised if it's a Bad Idea to try and stitch drill the wall once through the tile - should have been done before the wall was tiled.

You'll have no problem getting long bits, BTW - 30cm won't be an issue.

Travertine cuts pretty easily. I'm sure you'd be able to use the same core drill to drill the tile as well as the wall.

Should be fairly easy to buy some replacement travertine tiles though that match on colour.

Stitch drill means drilling a series of small holes along the perimeter of the hole you want to create and then using a chisel to join them up.

Stich drilling and the associated knocking out will create havoc and possibly loose lots of tiles on that wall.

An sds machine is no good for 100mm cores you need a proper core drill.

As i said go to your hire shop, a quality diamond core bit and core drill will go through the lot and leave a perfect hole. This is probably what your mate suggested

Any chance I could try these from my around the corner B&Q?

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...-Sds-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-850W-PRH850-10487559

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...lls/PTX-Dry-Diamond-Core-Drill-107mm-11407748

I got another job in my kitchen as well. The bathroom I do first is second floor, bit worried about chiseling dont want too many brick pieces flying out and damaging windows etc downstairs...

I think I try angle grinder on the travertine, cut a square opening then cover the surroundings of the fan with something. Guess less danger of damage than actually drilling a hole on it! :confused:

Having an sds drill is very useful for many jobs,and probably a must if your doing rennovations.

I said it before and will say it again coring a 100mm hole with an sds is a terrible idea.

It will take 10 times as long, destroy your drill and be much less safe.

Also a good diamond core will goes straight through the travertine and make a better job of it than a grinder. You use them without hammer action so its very similar cut to a grinder.

HI. I will forget the SDS drill + 100mm bit... I ready some horror stories things going wrong! Ie been looking for the right equipment to rent from a nearby Jewsons.. think will go for that.

I wanted to install the fan on the bathroom ceiling as its wooden and easier access to the loft. But on the loft the only way out is through the slated roof. To me too difficult job as dont have any idea or experience or head to work on heights!
Soffit theres no room as the gutter is on the way, the brick wall goes up all the way to wher the roof meets anyway... :/
Theres the chimney (unused) of course, but dont think wise think try to vent to cold chimney - especially not knowing the state its in inside.

Dont vent to the chimney!! I was thinking it would be easier for you to drill out through a gable end wall rather than risk damage to your tiles. A roofer can put a vented tile in for you too as another option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back