How drill whole through travertine tile and brick wall?

Stich drilling and the associated knocking out will create havoc and possibly loose lots of tiles on that wall.
If you try to stitch drill on hammer setting through the tile and the wall and then chisel it out you will wish you had a spare tile(s). ... I'd not be surprised if it's a Bad Idea to try and stitch drill the wall once through the tile

Sponsored Links
I said it before and will say it again coring a 100mm hole with an sds is a terrible idea.
It goes round and round - why is it a "terrible" idea?

It will take 10 times as long, destroy your drill and be much less safe.
How will it destroy the drill?

You use them without hammer action so its very similar cut to a grinder.
You can turn the hammer action off on an SDS hammer drill.

I said it before and will say it again coring a 100mm hole with an sds is a terrible idea.
It goes round and round - why is it a "terrible" idea?

Because the average (2kg) SDS does not run at an appropriate speed and will often lack the safety clutch.

It will take 10 times as long, destroy your drill and be much less safe.
How will it destroy the drill?

High load the drill is not meant to operate under.

Look for s/h SDS+ or SDS Max drills on eBay - go for good makes like Bosch (blue, not green), Hilti etc. Get a corded one - they're heavy enough as it is without the weight of a battery to contend with.
Did I take too much for granted?

Look for s/h 5-joule or more SDS+ or SDS Max drills on eBay - go for good makes like Bosch (blue, not green), Hilti etc, with roto-stop, pneumatic hammer, rotation only and safety clutch, weighing at least 4kg.

Sponsored Links
I was drilling some holes of a ladder with a 4kg makita sds for a new soil stack and it grabbed and threw me of the ladder, lucky for me I was only 8' foot up. What people are trying to tell you is that standing on a chair in your bathroom with a cheap drill will probably end up with you on the floor dropping a large heave drill breaking something.

Ban all sheds, thanks for the confrontational post.

I was not refering to your post when i said stitch drilling is a bad idea because you highlighted the pitfalls, i was just stating in my opinion it was a bad move.

I still think coring a 100mm hole with a standard sds is bad for the drill, it's not designed for that and doubt that it is rated up to that size for coring. Drills don't like the low speed high torque needed for a cutter that size.

Like catlad i have tried smaller cores with a normal corded sds and found it pretty grim if it does catch.

On a diy forum i think its fair to assume someone who doesn't even own an sds drill has limited experience drilling large diameter holes and recommend them the safest most appropriate tool.
:rolleyes:

Look for s/h SDS+ or SDS Max drills on eBay - go for good makes like Bosch (blue, not green), Hilti etc. Get a corded one - they're heavy enough as it is without the weight of a battery to contend with.
Did I take too much for granted?

Look for s/h 5-joule or more SDS+ or SDS Max drills on eBay - go for good makes like Bosch (blue, not green), Hilti etc, with roto-stop, pneumatic hammer, rotation only and safety clutch, weighing at least 4kg.

Oh dear, I didn't recall your earlier, silly post.

He should hire an appropriate drill and the core, and buy a 2kg SDS for general use. Trying to use an SDS of any type for core drilling is silly, they're not designed for it.

Good luck with all the arguments you'll have with drill makers who in their own user manuals say that their product can be used for core drilling - you'll be busy.

Good luck with all the arguments you'll have with drill makers who in their own user manuals say that their product can be used for core drilling - you'll be busy.

Lots of manufacturers state things which aren't quite true. The pages of the manual are not gospel.

No SDS will compete with, say, a Marcrist DDM2.

I've got a dewalt sds drill. I used it with a four inch corer and it completely trashed the clutch. It now will not push anything bigger than a 5.5mm bit into brick.

[shrug]I've got a Bosch GBH and I used it with a 110cm corer and it's fine[/shrug]

I reckon that if a maker says you can use his drill with a core bit, and you do, and it trashes the drill, you can ask for a new one.

Thanks guys for plenty of posts.

Have been done lot of thinking: I stumbled across a roof slate vent (under £10 from B&Q). So Im trying to get hold of a builder friend to have it installed and then just have a inline extractor fan installed on the loft... and have someone do the wiring. Realised got bit more complicated than I first thought, but less worry and mess than drill hole on the wall and maybe brake the tiles and bathroom furniture!

I will also try make the hole for my kitchen extractor fan vent, by 'stitch' drilling and chiseling with hammer as some of you recommend. Its ground floor so shouldnt (hopefully) be too big job for my old trusted (and cheap) drill. Hope I dont make too much damage though!!

I will get a SDS as well for sure.. looking for bargains.

I hope your builder understands what to do about fan ducts routed through an unheated roof space....

Thanks Ban all sheds,

Still waiting... hes been quite busy so need wait and see. Otherwise Ive read plenty now about ducts on loft (condesation, insulation). As soon as I get the vent on roof the rest shoule be fine (I hope!).

Thanks for all your comments everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back