How efficient are direct unvented cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just purchased a direct unvented cylinder that is about 3 years old. Not realising that they work off immersion heaters I was wondering how efficient they are. I know I will get a better flow rate of hot water than I currently do, but are they as bad as what people say? The capacity of the cylinder is 150L.

Sponsored Links
We have a 120L direct unvented cylinder.

It's heated from about 3pm till 11pm, so it's fully heated.

We get a 2 15 min showers, or a 'full' hot bath and a shower a night.

Does that help?

That's very helpful thank you. Is it expensive - for example, do you have high electricity bills?

Also, when you say it is heated from 3pm to 11pm do you mean it is using electricity in that time?

Sponsored Links
Immersion heaters an are 100% efficient (near as) and a well lagged cylinder will waste very little heat.

However, at say 15p per kWh standard rate, it will cost about £1.20 to fully heat 150 L of water from 15 deg to 60 deg. So that's about £500 a year if you use 150L every day just for hot water. Gas and cheap rate electricity will be about 1/3 of that.

I've got a santon unvented 210ltr cylinder. The docs say 1.5 kwh heat loss per day at 80C I run mine at 60. So I reckon about 15 pence per day is heat loss if you use electric to heat it. As has already been said, the elements will be 100% efficient. The issue is that generally speaking, electricity is twice the cost of gas.
Dan

What would be really useful is if somebody would be will to let me know what their annual electricity bill is using one of these direct cylinders. This will help me to decide whether or not to get it installed or buy a indirect cylinder and let the boiler do the heating.

What would be really useful is if somebody would be will to let me know what their annual electricity bill is using one of these direct cylinders. This will help me to decide whether or not to get it installed or buy a indirect cylinder and let the boiler do the heating.

Omg.... Is that the question?

Boiler of course.

Fit a Hotrod or a Solar Coil. You will, however, lose the option to heat electrically if your CH goes t*ts up.
cylinder-converter.jpg
solar-coil.jpg

http://www.vaheating.co.uk/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back