How fast does gravity travel???

but they are predictions.
Maybe 'determined' was a bit strong, but the inferences seem to look good. :)

LOL This why some carry on looking for other ideas. Einstein is the best we have
Science has a place for predictions.
I am reminded of the common misconception that scientific 'laws' are written in stone.
Science will use the best tools and schema at its disposal to predict outcomes.
...but it should also acknowledge and move on when it is proven to be mistaken.

Maybe one day we will find a ToE! :)

Sponsored Links
Gravity does not move.
What you see moving are objects that move because of gravity.
You observe the effect of gravity and think that gravity moves :rolleyes:
Gravity is not made of mass, so it cannot move.
But an object with mass have effects on other objects and this is what you observe.
Gravity propagates at the speed of light then.

Planets, stars, galaxies and nebulae move around. As they move their gravity grows stronger, weaker or just changes direction when detected at objects that they effect. That change doesn't happen instantly but at the speed of light.

Last edited:
Nobody really knows. All the current theories have a flaw in the maths and a unified theory has proven elusive. So it depends which theory you believe? Personally I like the theory that gravity is a wave that doesn't exist on its own. Being a wave it doesn't really move. The best description I've seen of this is imagine putting your fingernail in the thread of a screw. When you turn the screw your fingernail moves - but the screw does not. So gravity has no speed of its own.
I don't like it, it implies an underlying ether to me.

I prefer the graviton theory. In which case going back to @johnny2007 Gravity does move.

Waves do move.
Gravitons are the best theory we have at the mo but with a mass less than around 10^-57kg we're not likely to detect them. Calculations using them do work though.
They move if you move the mass responsible. The gravity doesn't move by itself.

Sponsored Links
I don't like it, it implies an underlying ether to me.

I prefer the graviton theory. In which case going back to @johnny2007 Gravity does move.
Again, you're observing the effect of gravity, not gravity itself.
If gravity is made of particles (some theories say so) then maybe these particles can travel at a speed.
For the time being, gravity is a phenomenon of interaction between 2 or more masses.

Last edited:
Again, you're observing the effect of gravity, not gravity itself.
If gravity is made of particles (some theories say so) then maybe these particles can travel at a speed.
For the time being, gravity is a phenomenon of interaction between 2 or more masses.
No ****. In the same way that no one has ever directly observed the weak, strong or electromagnetic force. You only see their effects.

But those effects are measurable and the speed at which they move is measurable.

OK. I'll have a go or two. Uni physics teachers would pick this to bits but don't, unless you are one.
I daresay some might go off and google to find different words as usual, without having a clue..

If there are gravitons, and the gravitons move, it doesn't mean the gravity field has moved. A field is a quantised region. Or a space in which a particle or many particles engage in the behaviour they're known for. Like gravity acts on a particle with mass.
Fields can exist with or without particles, as they mainly refer to an area of effect. However, fields related to the fundamental forces are usually used to describe the effects of particles. Those particles are recognised subatomic particles we "know" about. They're in the category of particle called bosons. Others are fermions, etc. Repeat - you can have a field with a particle, or not. The field persists when the particle is gone.

Everything is just fields. But all fields are “quantised” into highly unified bundles of energy. These bundles are called “quanta.” For example, one quantum (or bundle of energy) of the electromagnetic field is called a “photon,” and one quantum of the electron-positron field is called an “electron.” This bundling (called “quantisation”) makes it seem as though the universe is made of particles. It’s not. It’s made of quantised fields.
Fields are concepts, mathematical constructs. You can't go and get a bucketful of field. But that's all any of us is made of.
We say we reckon we understand something if we have a mathematical model for it which predicts, etc. The Higgs boson was predicted - it was required, for the Standard Model. So, yay for the Higgs boson.
The Higgs field/boson gives things mass, but, sadly but fascinatingly, not everything. It does give mass to sub-atomic particles like quarks and electrons. But it does not provide all mass to all particles, not even particles which are made exclusively of quarks. Protons and neutrons, for example, get most of their mass from the Strong Nuclear force that holds their quarks together. So, what's the rest??
Relativity explains gravity just fine. Quantum theory really doesn't in a useful way. Like, in a way, you can apply wave mechanics to a snooker ball, work out its wavelength and all that, but it's not very useful.
The effect of gravity on subatomic particles is orders of magnitude less strong than the forces holding things together down there. Not really relevant. Whether they'll extend the Standard model to encompass gravity, on the way to explaining Everything, including the far distant behaviours we ascribe to "dark" things, nobody knows.

OK. I'll have a go or two. Uni physics teachers would pick this to bits but don't, unless you are one.
I daresay some might go off and google to find different words as usual, without having a clue..
You need to accept the reality that we currently know SFA about gravity.

We need people to realise this, we need people willing to go out & find the answers.

My old skool chum went down the chemistry path. He really is a $billionaire & yet he'll tell you that none of his material wealth matters when he meets a child who lives because of his drugs.

I'm a multi-millionaire philanthropist who never did much more with my life than invest in other peoples ambitions & achievements.

When the snivelling left wing scum take offence & vandalise my car because they consider it "decadent", do they realise that I'm currently committed to funding £360,000's worth of scholarships this fiscal year?

No Sir, they do not. They only have hatred in their hearts.

We need people to realise this, we need people willing to go out & find the answers.

My old skool chum went down the chemistry path. He really is a $billionaire & yet he'll tell you that none of his material wealth matters when he meets a child who lives because of his drugs.

I'm a multi-millionaire philanthropist who never did much more with my life than invest in other peoples ambitions & achievements.

When the snivelling left wing scum take offence & vandalise my car because they consider it "decadent", do they realise that I'm currently committed to funding £360,000's worth of scholarships this fiscal year?

No Sir, they do not. They only have hatred in their hearts.
Rubbish and Incoherent irrelevant ramblings.

We need people to realise this, we need people willing to go out & find the answers
I'm a multi-millionaire philanthropist who never did much more with my life than invest in other peoples ambitions & achievements
I'm sure our gravitational wave laboratory would be hugely grateful for any of your generous philanthropy! :)
Setting up a gravitational wave scholarship would create an amazing legacy, and may encourage future young researchers to discover the truth.
Thank you for the consideration! :)

;) We know it exists. It's an effect that we choose to call gravity.

Einstein's main problem is the kludge really that has been changed to get it to match what is observed. The observations may be screwball based on invalid data. The expanding universe for instance. A rival theory says time ran at a different rate in the past. This goes some way to explaining why observations may be incorrect - aspects crop up where things don't work out according to various models that are purely theoretical.

It's a problem with astrophysics. Physical measurements can not be taken. Olbers' paradox is one of the interesting areas. These days it doesn't happen because light is red shifted out of the visible spectrum. The basic assumption is that nothing much happens to light over distance other than expansion effects.

Oh... I just assumed that you are knuckle dragging right wing racist scumbag.

If true, that is generous of you. Did you insist that the recipients are (to quote an earlier post of yours) "pure blood"?

What/which kludge - reference please?
Einstein's theories do not answer everything. Yeah, we know, keep up..
Olbers paradox isn't a paradox at all, it's junk. He was an ignorant old monk.

It travels as fast as an aeroplane on a conveyor belt :ROFLMAO: but at 90 degrees to that.

Sponsored Links
Back