How flat is flat when tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time at attempting to tile. I have stripped the old tiles of my wall and filled in any holes in the plasterboard, and have removed as much of the old tile adhesive as possible. Suffice to say the wall isn't as flat as a snooker table thanks to the remants of the old tile adhesive. However, there is no adhesive jutting out excessively. Does this sound like the surface is reasonably OK to tile?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Help said:
Does this sound like the surface is reasonably OK to tile?
Yes, as long you allow for the old deepest adhesive thickness and also unibond with part water to seal it.

If it's class B adhesive it will break back down with water, if it's class AA it won't. I would sand what you can off and then just tile it will a class AA adhesive.

You don't need to unibond anything.

Regards
PITT Dan

Sponsored Links
I would have thought sanding hardened adhesive on plasterboard would make a bigger mess!

Surely a belt sander, as said in your other post, would rip through the paper backing and into the plaster?

I also agree entirely with Masona about the sealer, although he doesn't say it, he means mainly to seal the exposed plaster and filler where the paper backing is ripped off. Indeed Blue Hawk make a sealer just for this purpose.

As regards new plasterboard you should always seal it, sealing also stops the adhesive from drying to quickly. It is the same as priming new wood.

How do you tell the different types of adhesive when they are old and set?

david and julie said:
I would have thought sanding hardened adhesive on plasterboard would make a bigger mess!

Surely a belt sander, as said in your other post, would rip through the paper backing and into the plaster?

I also agree entirely with Masona about the sealer, although he doesn't say it, he means mainly to seal the exposed plaster and filler where the paper backing is ripped off. Indeed Blue Hawk make a sealer just for this purpose.

As regards new plasterboard you should always seal it, sealing also stops the adhesive from drying to quickly. It is the same as priming new wood.

How do you tell the different types of adhesive when they are old and set?

OK lol here goes,

I was under the impression that the adhesive left on the plasterboard was too much to trowel over therefor enough to sand down with a good sander.

The sealer thing was discribed wrong then.

As regards to new plasterboard. You should check with the adhesive manufacturer before you seal anything as some most Type 2 adhesives have primers in them already and more could spoil adhesion properties. It isn't sand/ cement anymore you know.

There are various test to see what type and class the adhesive is that is on a wall or floor. A class b will break down with water so the obvious answer would be to wet it! :)

Regards
Dan

Dan......I am not trying to score points off you it is just that I find some of your suggestions unorthodox.

Help said their wasn't much adhesive left on the plasterboard, with this in mind a belt sander would make a right mess of his wall. That is a fact of which I am certain. You are forgetting that a lot of people reading this site could be novices and rely on the comments they read.

Regarding sealing plasterboard, I was assuming what Masona meant, it wasn't wrongly described. Many people, including me, are dubious about the claims of new products and prefer the tried and tested. Espescially in DIY where time is not as important as when doing something for a living.

My question about testing methods was a sensible one, who would want a wall absorbing water before they tiled?

I am curious why most of your posts talk about adhesive, I don't recall seeing your answers to the most common problems which people have with tiling.

It is not for me to comment about the promotion of your business on the forum. But if you must, please do it in a practical and helpful way. Don't just bog us down with BS numbers etc.

david and julie said:
I am curious why most of your posts talk about adhesive, I don't recall seeing your answers to the most common problems which people have with tiling.
I have noticed that and beging to wonder what PITT Dan is on about sometime.

from a non tiler's pov, it looks like he is just trying to promote his website

How cynical!

jump.gif

david and julie said:
Dan......I am not trying to score points off you it is just that I find some of your suggestions unorthodox.

Help said their wasn't much adhesive left on the plasterboard, with this in mind a belt sander would make a right mess of his wall. That is a fact of which I am certain. You are forgetting that a lot of people reading this site could be novices and rely on the comments they read.

Regarding sealing plasterboard, I was assuming what Masona meant, it wasn't wrongly described. Many people, including me, are dubious about the claims of new products and prefer the tried and tested. Espescially in DIY where time is not as important as when doing something for a living.

My question about testing methods was a sensible one, who would want a wall absorbing water before they tiled?

It is not for me to comment about the promotion of your business on the forum. But if you must, please do it in a practical and helpful way. Don't just bog us down with BS numbers etc.

It's ok D+J, it's just you appear to keep nocking what I say that's all.

Reading it again, if there isn't much adhesive left on the wall, why does it have to be cleaned off? Can't they use a thick bed trowel and get over the lot?

Regarding sealing the plasterboard, I stick to what I say. Some adhesives have sealers and primers in them along with water absorption agencies to retain water in the adhesive for the correct amount of time. Call Norcros on 01782 591160. You can loose the guarantee of the product if you don't use it correctly so I would say that's important for DIY and Experts personally.

As to 'My talk on adhesives', I haven't actually started many posts so I reply with what my advice is. It is pretty good advice so DIY and Traders could take what they want from it.

As for the business promotion. We are fully booked for many months and don't need new business that much at all. Most forums allow you to have the signature stating what you are so I stuck my web address. If this is not acceptable I understand and will still input in to this forum (which i think is very good by the way) without posting my web address.

I didn't intend on annoying anybody at all, and if I did I am very sorry but please just voice your opinion and don't keep trying to 'nock' what I say.

I hope to help you lot not upset you. Please PM me if you have a problem with what I say, and I mean that in a non nasty way. If you don't understand the classes and types of adhesives please let me know as I am quite happy to explain.

I hope that you all understand where I am coming from.

Regards
PITT Dan

look divvy its either flat or it isnt flat
never mind if your tiling or not
if its bumpy its not ****ing flat is ist ?
are you daft?

Dan....please don't take my comments personally they are not meant that way.

If you mainly deal with the technical side, IE adhesive, thats fine.

I'm sure many of us welcome your comments and help, indeed I thought your wetroom comments and link were really helpful.

It is not unknown for the the people on this site to have a bit of banter between each other. People will sometimes disagree and say so, neither of us exempt from this.

I respect you polite reply DJ.

PS, Cant understand why the owner of this forum has taken the main features away from the forum software phpBB 2. Very very strange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back