How has this happened?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See attached pic. Pipe looks like its about to split? How has that happened? Didn't think pipes were joined like that?

Going to get a plumber to fix it. Just curious as to what's happened.

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_152410.jpg
    IMG_20210827_152410.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
That can happen when they freeze, but I cannot see a split - maybe just a leaking joint?

It's never cold where the pipe is. It's got a drip coming through now and then.

I've not seen a joint like that before. Is it two pipes joined together, or is it a single pipe that's designed differently?

Sponsored Links
Look like 20mm.

Look at the right hand elbow on the downwards leg Harry ;) ... and it isn't 3/4" ... 2 little ducks .... :whistle:

Yup +1 on either the copper's pinholed due to the flux not been cleaned properly or original solder that hasn't taken properly and the flux has eventually eaten it.

Is it worth using repair putty or shall I just leave it to the plumber? Only reason I'm thinking of using putty is if plumber isn't immediately available

Clean the green crust from it, that is exdess flux, bad workmanship, wrap some kitchen roll or toilet paper around the joint and see it it gets wet, blue roll is best if you have it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back