How high should socket be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you are enjoying this bank holiday weekend!

I have just purchased a house built in 1915 and have seen that all the sockets are in the skirting boards.

How high do they need to be installed to meet building regs please? I've read 450mm but wanted to confirm.

Many Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Basically you can have them wherever you want, (bathrooms have special rules) on the ceiling if you want :D

Sponsored Links
As time goes by, people will get more and more used to the current standard, and a socket below 450mm will look as weird as a black and white TV.

I self propelled wheel chair wheel has the centre around 110 mm from the floor, that is where it hits a wall, so the idea is to put the sockets out of harms way, pedestrian controlled and electric will have lower points, so around 150 mm gets the socket out of harms way from wheel chairs. Reaching sockets is another point, in a wheel chair around 900 mm is the point where the user has most reach. Side on the user can reach the ground, but in front it is much reduced, for some reason we have 400 mm in most buildings but 450 mm in domestic, in real terms being higher does help when low furniture is in front. As said nothing says what height it must be, in fact you can get sockets in the floor.

Visible is another problem, my mother was in a wheel chair, and to see the heat setting on her oven one needed to look down on them, I had to make new plated so it could be read from below.

The touch controls on the hot plate were the worst, these also designed to be read from above, at the angle of her eyes to display, could not see the controls, had to change hob for one with knobs on.

The idea is if we follow the suggested heights then wheel chair users will have no problems, but I question if the writer actually used a wheel chair, in the main having sockets and the like low is better than high, a tall person can bend down, but a wheel chair user can't jump up.

It's also been known for some surveyors (who have no idea what they are talking about!) - to list sockets in skirting as a potential fire risk!

they are notorious for getting bashed and cracked by vacuum cleaners and chair legs.

If they received electricity say, just post war, they've done ok for 80 years.
Doubtful it was installed in 1915 although possible.

If a house has a load of sockets in skirting, you have the task of filling 10-20 holes in the skirting.
I'd swap for metal sockets as time went by

In some parts of Europe it is normal to have a socket under the light switch for a room (a sort of 2 gang vertical arrangement). It is not the prettiest thing to look at, but for hallways or bedrooms it is great for plugging in a vacuum (dare I say hoover) without needing to bend down, also good for plugging in a charger if there is a table nearby. This is on circuit designs where the whole room is on one breaker rather than having a dedicated lighting circuit. However, I have wondered why it is normal (outside of a kitchen or bathroom) for pretty much all sockets to be at a level where one needs to bend down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back