How important is radiator location in a room?

And where does CIBSE suggest rad placement?

Stocho might want 22 degrees. I've got customers wanting all sorts of temperature ranges. Some think 19 is too warm. My office has no heating at all yet I am sitting in a 25 degree glow.

Others moan 22 is too low.

Sponsored Links
So, with my 0.44wm insulated walls and the rad not near the window why is the room not evenly heated?

Double glazed UPVc windows.

How about the utility - less than 6 months old. Brand new Upvc door. Rad on opposite end? Same issue.

Well insulated rooms and correctly sized rads, yet the prediction follows that of the drawing posted.

Not so laughable. Have you learned to spell my name yet Norc?

Sponsored Links
You're obviously basing your information on your second edition R.D. Treolar and using 2 W/m2 as the U value for external walls.

That does not look right!

But nobody else has commented on it.

Not even Adam but perhaps he is sozzled tonight.

Now I have to admit I have not read that book and even books get it wrong sometimes.

But my expectation is that the unit should be written as 2W/m²/°C

Otherwise the figures don't match with common sense for a practical heating engineer!

The heating installer cannot be held responsible for how the idiot customer decides to insulate his radiators from the room....The radiators in my bay window are not insulated with long curtains, MDF radiator covers or any other useless junk that folk place over their rads...

Heat installer owes a duty of care to the customer and that involves enquiring about / predicting at least the most common usage scenarios - and yes that does include long curtains not the ugly short ones.

Now if gas was too cheap to meter (as it onc ws bu not in the UK) I would definitely love to have radiators below windows, covered by my thick curtains. This would mean that the gap between the curtains would be about +40C or more and, especially that I prefer to sleep with open window, probably mot heat would immeditaly escape - but who would care? But here in the UK with current energy prices......

Agile wrote

But nobody else has commented on it.

No one else has commented on it because they probably have enough common sense to realise its a typo.

Dom seems to think his walls are....
my 0.44wm insulated walls
:LOL:

The heating installer cannot be held responsible for how the idiot customer decides to insulate his radiators from the room....The radiators in my bay window are not insulated with long curtains, MDF radiator covers or any other useless junk that folk place over their rads...

Heat installer owes a duty of care to the customer and that involves enquiring about / predicting at least the most common usage scenarios - and yes that does include long curtains not the ugly short ones.

Now if gas was too cheap to meter (as it onc ws bu not in the UK) I would definitely love to have radiators below windows, covered by my thick curtains. This would mean that the gap between the curtains would be about +40C or more and, especially that I prefer to sleep with open window, probably mot heat would immeditaly escape - but who would care? But here in the UK with current energy prices......

It is not for the installer to predict the future or the personal tastes of any customer. If the customer wishes the radiator to be fitted on a wall other than the one that I reccommend, then it will be fitted there but it will be made clear that the room will not have an even temperature throughout and I will take no responsibillity for the temperature not being even or for convected air currents coming fron the area of the window.... If I was to fit you with an open solid fuel fire, would it be my fault if you were so stupid as to fit the opening with curtains?...

If you understood convected air currets and how they work then you would understand that convected air from a radiator travels in a upward direction and not a horizontal direction and so forms an air barrier or air curtain beteen the window and the room.

The price of heating fuel is not expensive, indeed the cost of gas in the UK is among the cheapest in Western Europe.... What is wrong is that the majoity of British homes have inadequate insulation that needs to be improved, unfortunately this is the fault of the short term thinking and penny pinching British public who would prefer to spend their money on cheap tat for instant gratification rather than insulating their homes.... Even new builds have, in my opinion inadequate insulation, homes are built to the bare minimum needed and rarely does the builder exceed the regulations, demonstrating to the purchaser how much the energy saving would be over a standard home, so please dont whine on about the price of gas like the British public is being victimised

please dont whine on about the price of gas like the British public is being victimised

This is exactly what happens. Price per 1000 cubic meters in the UK is about $1100 while Russia charge about a third of that (and I am not talking about internal Russian charges that a less then twentieth of that. So yes with those prices it make perfect sense to have 50 year old boilers that never develop faulats or requir service - just put them on max and hav radiators beow windows and if i is too hot just open the window!).

I wonder how much is spent on premium rate phone calls to those stupid games shows and strictly.

People do bleat on about energy prices, yet they have a nice shiny car out front on HP.

Had one custoemr recently wanted a load of work doing cheap as they had just come back from holiday.

:rolleyes:

The general public have a lot to learn.

Some of the idiotic posts in this thread and forum in general make me worry for the future. It really does.

please dont whine on about the price of gas like the British public is being victimised

This is exactly what happens. Price per 1000 cubic meters in the UK is about $1100 while Russia charge about a third of that (and I am not talking about internal Russian charges that a less then twentieth of that. So yes with those prices it make perfect sense to have 50 year old boilers that never develop faulats or requir service - just put them on max and hav radiators beow windows and if i is too hot just open the window!).

You don't half come out with some crap.

Natural gas households

Denmark pays €0.108
Germany pays €0.061
Ireland pays €0.058
Italy pays €0.079
UK pays €0.044
Spain pays €0.061

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back