How important is radiator location in a room?

Well I am with Dan who know his physics.

Radiators do not radiate much heat, less than 15%, they are misnamed they are convectors. Which means they need the movement of air to work at max efficiency.

The best position ( for even room warmth) is under windows as warm air rises with the introduction of cooler air by the window, however small then moves over the ceiling and back under the radiator, which has to be a minimum of 100mm from the ground to keep the circulation going which is why your head is warmer that your feet.

It also prevents you having long curtains.
No it dosnt if you follow a few simple rules, physics again.

The jerk who installed my system all on internal walls behind doors (yuk cold spots) now all under windows more even toasty.

The only way of altering said scenario is the introduction of a fan and funnily enough they are called fanned convectors. ;)

Basics. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I wonder how much is spent on premium rate phone calls to those stupid games shows and strictly.

People do bleat on about energy prices, yet they have a nice shiny car out front on HP.

Had one custoemr recently wanted a load of work doing cheap as they had just come back from holiday.

:rolleyes:

The general public have a lot to learn.

Some of the idiotic posts in this thread and forum in general make me worry for the future. It really does.

I do not spend money on premium rate and that includes those fraudulent premium rate numbers such as 0870, 0845 etc.

My holiday home in Eastern Europe consumes about 4000 cubic meters per year yet the annual bill is around 500. So that's just over 1p per kWh.

There is a very good cause to worry for the future - cost of living in the UK is too high making it more and more difficult to compete in the globalized economy. Wages have to collapse to reflect economic realities of the offshorability of jobs - yet they can't due to sky high cost of living - bad times and economic ruin is clearly ahead.

which is why your head is warmer that your feet.

Oh really? I would think it has to do more with the fact that feet being less critical part of the body gets it's blood supply restricted when you are in a cold room.

It also prevents you having long curtains.
No it dosnt if you follow a few simple rules, physics again.

Of cause it does not but you will pay through the nose as most energy will escape straight away due to temperature between the curtains and windows being much higher then in the room.

The jerk who installed my system all on internal walls behind doors (yuk cold spots) now all under windows more even toasty.

What's the problem? Put radiators internally and set it to be in the 22-24 range Very comfortable indeed.

Put radiators under windows and put proper curtains not cut offs and may be temperature will be more even but it will cost more even if you set temperature to 21C.

I think Stocho and JohnD need to go back to school first and then collage, both have a chronic failure of understanding the basics of physics.

Sponsored Links
Stocho - Bog off back to your holiday home then. Stop giving rubbish advice here. :LOL: :rolleyes:

And it looks like you have nowhere I could advise you to bog off because it is your advice that is stupid.

And physics - what would you know about it? Little knowledge that you think you have gained through O'Levels might do you more harm then good. If you can produce a fluid dynamics / heat loss calculation proving your point do so otherwise do not appeal to your "knowledge of physics".

My holiday home in Eastern Europe consumes about 4000 cubic meters per year yet the annual bill is around 500. So that's just over 1p per kWh.

Yes, perhaps, and if your home was in Ukraine then you are still being ripped off because the Ukrainians are stealing gas from the Russian pipeline that runs to Northern Europe... Soon as the pipeline in the southern states is completed then Ukraine will get it's gas cut off.... As a sweetener, Russia has heavily discounted the price of gas to the states allowing the pipeline to pass through their country...

If you feel that Britain is ripping you off then feel free to leave it, I prefer to find solutions to problems rather than belly ache about how things should be..

Funny isn't it that two people, one of whom has already demonstrated complete incompetence, and another popping up out of nowhere all of a sudden ;) who it would seem have never installed a proper system from scratch feel qualified to comment after an evenings googleering.

Well sorry ladies. Wikipedia and fluid dynamics won't get you out of this hole.

How can heating bits of a room be more efficient and comfortable than 21 degrees (adjust your desired true comfort temperature accordingly)?

I can imagine the conversation with the customer now:

yes missus. I know it's cold as anything by the window. But by golly you can wear shorts on this side of the room as long as you don't mind a cold back.

Can I have my money now please?

Flocking idiots. :rolleyes:

I think that we should all welcome Dr Drivel back to the forum..... We've missed you!.....But do you have a thing for Dan?

Nice to feel wanted. Gives me a warm fuzzy glow. Oh wait. That'll be my underfloor heating ;).

All we need is J90 the queen googleerist; and it'll be Yahtzee :LOL:

I hope that you have kept that underfloor away from the windows else all you heat will simply blow away and Vladimir Putin will start sending you Christmas cards.....

Perhaps Drivel has bought a house in a country that hasn't invented glass yet.... Or that's what the local builders are telling him.... Even they think that he's a complete twonk and they just want him to freeze.

Was wondering how the ac units in my holiday homes are positioned. We don't have hydronic heating there.

Just Rinnai water heaters on the verandas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back