How is this done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an under-cabinet light, that appears to be connected to the mains.

20160319_101116.jpg

I'm curious - what is actually happening here? Is this likely a [transformer box?] wired in [parallel?] to the socket below?

Is it a common setup for under-cabinet lights? If I want to do this on more cabinets, is there a better/easier way?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
That's just a junction box. Likely fed from the rooms lighting circuit otherwise it wouldn't turn on with the rooms light switch. If it can only be turned on by a switch on the light body itself regardless of the rooms lighting it could be fed from the socket or anywhere.

Is this likely a [transformer box?] wired in [parallel?]
Probably. What is the voltage of the tube?

to the socket below?
Could be; can't tell from here.
How do they switch on?
Which circuit breaker or fuse stops them working?

Is it a common setup for under-cabinet lights? If I want to do this on more cabinets, is there a better/easier way?
It's up to you.
It depends on the wiring. Where does the cable come from into the junction box?

You may, if long enough, have the cable passing up behind the units and have all the 'works' on top.

It's "always on", i.e. the lamp itself is the only on/off, so I assume from the socket?

The lamp is rated "230VAC 50hz 12VA", does that mean it can come straight from the mains with no transformer?

Sponsored Links
It's "always on", i.e. the lamp itself is the only on/off, so I assume from the socket?
Not necessarily. You would/should have a fused connector unit somewhere if wired from a socket.

The lamp is rated "230VAC 50hz 12VA", does that mean it can come straight from the mains with no transformer?
Yes.

If its wired from the socket, when I switch the circuit the socket is on off, won't the light also turn off? This is what appears to be happening.

when I switch the circuit
Where are you "switching" the circuit.

Given where the junction box is, have a peek on the top of the cabinet. It may reveal a fused connection point
AA13SCF.JPG
which is where the lights are actually powered from.

That looks like a IEC 60320 type C13/C14 connector
150px-IEC_60320_C13.svg.png
which is a socket and in a bathroom your not permitted a socket within 3 meters of the bath so I would think that does not comply?

I thought the box was a ceiling pull cord switch missing the pull cord! Must get new glasses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back