How level does a floor need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put engineered wood down in the dining room. 5m x 4.2m with a 1.6 x 1.4m rectangle missing from one corner.

Fl;oor is solid, probably screed on concrete.

Appears to be less than 3mm variation over a metre where I have been able to look (still some furniture in the room) but there is a crown of around 7-8mm in the centre of the floor.

Don't want to raise all the rest by 7-8mm plus the floor thickness.

Is this within the limits for an engineered floor or do I have to take some of the crown off.

Sponsored Links
Take some off - as much as possible so you only have a 3mm per meter sloop. You will regret it if you don't - no floorboard can take that much be it solid or engineered

Any recommendations for a floor levelling compound for a screed floor some of which has been painted?

e.g. Is Bal Multibase as good as the data sheet implies?

Sponsored Links
I tend to use screedmaster 2 latex based level, 3mm is quite a lot per 1m2 unless a good quality underlay is being used, go for a 6mm Poly Ethylene underlay which can absorb (sp) 1 to 1.5mm of undulation.

Ensure you use a D3PVA glue also when laying the floor even if it is a click system.

the uneveness of the floor is also dependent on the size of the board, i.e. a 2.2m board will act as a see-saw on a hump breaking your joints pretty fast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back