1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before putting tape on new satinwood?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by garmcqui, 23 Oct 2017.

1. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, have just gone over my old yellowed gloss skirting boards with 123 primer, am planning to leave it a few hours then do it with Armstead Trade Quick Dry Satinwood, which should (hopefully) be an improvement.

I need to do the walls too, with emulsion. I’ll need to mask up the skirting boards, but how long do I need to leave them before I can mask them.

Will it be ok to do tomorrow?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why do you need to mask the skirting? Are you worried about roller splatter? If yes, you can mist the skirtings with a water sprayer, roll the walls and then wipe off the splatters.

Different brands of tape have different levels of tack. You can buy low tack tapes, they tend to rather expensive and, being low tack, they don't stick very well unless the surface is very flat.

Another consideration is the length of time that the tape will be in place. UV light affects the glue on bog standard tape and can make it go rock hard in days.

At a push, I have been known to use standard tape on fresh wood work. Sounds silly but I apply the tape to my cotton tee shirt first to remove some of the cotton fibres with a view to making the tape less sticky. It works but is far from reliable.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links