how long do plans take to draw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Not sure if this is right for this particular section but I reckon people on this forum might know the answer.
My point is - the Architect has taken ages doing the plans. Im talking months. Hes done the existing plans, and I would imagine the proposed elevations wouldnt be too big a task. But all im getting is excuses. So has anyone got an idea how many hours the next bit might take for him to do? Surely its quicker than drawing by hand?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
When did he say he would do them by?

A couple of says to do planning plans, a couple of days more to do the regulation plans for a standard extension or loft.

Obviously, if he's juggling other work it may be a few hours here and there spread over a few weeks, depending on how he likes to work, but its certainly not months in any case

Im suprised it takes 2 days to do it. Unless youre talking about the existing as well. You could draw it with pencil in a quarter of the time.

Im suprised it takes 2 days to do it. Unless youre talking about the existing as well. You could draw it with pencil in a quarter of the time.
Why don't you draw it then :?::!: It obviously depends on the project as to how long it takes to draw the plans but it shouldn't take months for domestic type work. Your architect is obviously not working on your job or it would have been finished.
p.s. another how long is a piece of string question :!:

Sponsored Links
If it's a normal domestic extension, I'd say no more than 10 - 15 hours max for planning/building regs, including existing plans and elevations, and a couple of sections @ 1:50.
Granted there'd be time for coffee, answering the phone, gazing though the window and nose-picking. But months is just ridiculous.
The architect obviously has more lucrative work to do and is putting the OPs work firmly on the back burner, without even lighting it.
It's a dog-in-the-manger attitude because he wants the lucrative work, but still wants to hang on to the OPs work because he can't bring himself to turn it down - greedy I'd say.
Get rid and get another architect or technician.

I dont want to draw it myself because ive already handed over money and I didnt know how much id be messed about. And I thought it better to get a pro and pay the money to do things properly even if the result is only a few percent better.
Its not a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I should have mentioned it's for a side extension. And im only looking for a rough estimate as if I was doing it for someone and it was dragging on like this I'd do a couple of late nights if needs be. And if id done a couple more than the 2 applications Ive drawn in the past I reckon id know how long it would take me typically to do one give or take a couple of hours.

I'd say no more than 10 - 15 hours max for planning/building regs, including existing plans and elevations, and a couple of sections @ 1:50.
- People should get you to draw their plans then Tony, you are obviously a quick worker :D

Its not a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I should have mentioned it's for a side extension.
Who on here knows the details of your house or the proposed extension :?::!:

I dont want to draw it myself because ive already handed over money
You shouldn't pay in advance before the work is done. I have never known an architect ask for payment of fees in advance.

The secret is to do them by hand.
I was quite happy for many years producing plans on a drawing board but then they brought in this CAD thing and we all had to change our ways to do things electronically. :cry:

Yeah the idiots draw extensions, but the others design them.

The short version: it takes less than a week and the architect has had months.

Unless there's something we're missing you should let them know you're not happy and you either want a refund or the plans in <insert number of days>.

They may come back with a larger number of days, but even that's better than nothing.

The short version: it takes less than a week and the architect has had months.

Unless there's something we're missing you should let them know you're not happy and you either want a refund or the plans in <insert number of days>.

They may come back with a larger number of days, but even that's better than nothing.
Yes, if the architect was actually working on the job it could be done in a week but they obviously are not on it. Also you have to consider offices do some
' plate spinning' with jobs to try and keep everybody happy but months is ridiculous. As you say, the architect now needs to be confronted about the situation but even if they do no more work on the job they would be entitled to payment for drawing the existing plans and elevations. If hoq takes the work off them they should make sure the architect will provide the dwg file of survey of existing house so they are not paying for it being done again by a new architect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back