How long does an alarm system last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In trawling the relevant webpages I get the impression that most elements of an alarm system have a relatively short life (battery 5 years, ditto sensors). That's a worry as my system is nearly 8 years old and my neighbours identical system of similar age, has started playing up and going off in the evenings.

So how long are the bell system and the control pad likely to last?

And is it really worth paying for replacement and routine service?

I get the feeling that the very presence of an alarm box outside the house is sufficient to deter most whether or not it's connected or works?

Also most people totally ignore any alarm on houses, shops, cars the lot

Or am I missing the point?

Sponsored Links
I have seen older than 20 years, doesnt mean to say they are still working though.

But to answer your question battery life is 5 years, everything else should last longer. It does have a great deal to do with how it was installed.
some companies twist and tape wires, these will over time go high resistance, they should be soldered first.

some times if acable is run unde a carpet, its "done wrong" and will get trodden on and worn out /cause problems in a few years.

the problem with upgrading a panle is that the cables are still the same ones, and if the new one has end of lin rsistors it will "pick out" high resistnce connections where as old relay based panels wouldnt

Thanks for the replies gents

The Serviceman who came today was the engineer who installed this system originally (when the house was being built). He confirmed all connections to the control box etc were soldered ["proper job" he said]

He gave us a £20 discount on the call-out as he was doing two houses at the same time, I had him change the battery and test the system etc.

Sponsored Links
my fathers alarm has been in since 1991 and has never gave a single problem(touch wood). He did replace the bell boxes to modernize it a bit though. :p

Mine was installed in '99. Have not changed the (Yuasa 7Ah) battery as it is faultless.

However, without yearly checks, I would recommend a battery change every 5 years maximum.

My wired alarm is 18 years old and still working strong, the maine thing that with a short life span is PIR'S, depending what make thay are. you should get your alarm serviced at less 1's a year? just to make shore it dosen't become a fire risk or fuilty.

Given that the post you replied to was in 2008, the alarm will be five years older now!

Agreed, generally battery is the first to need replaced after 3yrs. After that it's a toss up between the external sirens, keypads or PIR's.

The pyroelectric sensors within PIR's degrade over time, so after 10 years, the detector probably isn't picking you up as good as it did when first installed.

That's interesting... The Pyronix Colt and Magnum PIRs that we installed 25 years ago seem to get MORE sensitive with age (just like some people I know! ;) ).

Keypad buttons tend to wear, especially if the user doesn't change the code and uses less than four different numbers (e.g. 1666). A good go over the board with a rubber usually fixes it.

relays and drop flap indicators should be good for a century.

leclanche cells die after a couple of decades

semiconductor stuff just isn't built to last and it's getting worse with lead-free solder.

semiconductor stuff just isn't built to last and it's getting worse with lead-free solder.
Modern stuff with over clock processors critically dependent on cooling systems do have short lives and other cost and size contraints in the design also shorten life times.

But stuff built properly in 1960 is still working. And Voyager spacecraft built 1977 are still able to communicate with NASA

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/

Mine was installed in '99. Have not changed the (Yuasa 7Ah) battery as it is faultless.
Please, what makes you think that it is 'faultless'?

What are you doing to test it to come to that conclusion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back