How long for rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just interested to know how many days you would take to do a full rewire in a 2 bed bungalow with accessable boarded floors, and no furniture. It requires more or less standard ring main, lighting, cooker etc. and 3 storage heaters on E7. All existing wiring stripped out and start from scratch.

Sponsored Links
The answer invariably will be how long is a piece of string.
Unoccupied and no furniture 2 ring final circuits (1 for the house and 1 for the kitchen), outside socket/light circuit, cooker circuit, lighting circuit - separate cu for storage heaters.
Five days - though that will depend on how many sockets you require and how many light fittings needed.

It all depends on your specification. It will obviously reduce the time if the property is empty.

5 days sounds feasible for a couple of electricians or an electrician and a good apprentice.

Agree with holmslaw regarding networking/phone/tv etc. This will add extra time and cost but is worth doing if with the rewire.

Sponsored Links
It requires more or less standard ring main, lighting, cooker etc.
  • Only 1 socket circuit, not split front/back or left/right?
  • Ditto lights?
  • Kitchen sockets?
  • Circuit for appliances ?
  • Non-RCD circuit for F/F ?
  • Dedicated circuit for hifi?
  • Dedicated circuit for IT equipment?
  • Lighting circuits with switches in the usual places but with 2A/5A round pin sockets at low level.?
  • Immersion heater?
  • Loft lights?
  • Shower?
  • Bathroom circuit ?
  • Alarms?
  • Supply for outside lights?
  • Supply for garden electrics?
  • Supply for shed/garage?

Thanks for the interest. I thought 8 days for one sparky. The property is a bungalow in my village that has just been sold after the elderly lady died. The property was cleared and the new owner commissioned the rewire. So far, 19 days by a "sparky" not registered with a scheme and the job signed off by a "mate". For the record, I have no financial interest and have met the new owner only once, just interested as it seemed a hell of a long time for the job.

So far, 19 days by a "sparky" not registered with a scheme and the job signed off by a "mate".
It's irrelevant whether it's 19 hours, 19 days or 19 weeks.

The highlighted part means that that person should not be given the job.

End of.

It would be public spirited of you to suggest that they do not.

They may not even know that the arrangement proposed is illegal.

2 days, one day first fix, one day second, i mean, it is only a bungalow lads....

It makes me sick when people boast about how quick they can do a job.

If that is the primary motivation, the logical outcome is that corners will be cut.

took me 20 days to completely rewire a 3-bedroom country cottage (1.5 floors). all thoroughly illegally but all thoroughly in accordance with the 16th edition: 2004 amendment.

anyway, point was that it took me a similar length of time, and I was/is an "enthusiastic amateur".

It makes me sick when people boast about how quick they can do a job.

If that is the primary motivation, the logical outcome is that corners will be cut.
If you are referring to Mr Greene perhaps you should look at his history - he likes playing with electricity in his bath tub amongst other things. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back