How long for water to heat and Water pressure help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,sorry if I have asked a similar question before but from a combi boiler how long should it take for the water to become warm/cold?It's a vailliant ecotec pro and it's only in the next room to the bathroom(small 2Apt)but it takes over a minute for the water to heat!Is this normal?
Also the hot water tap pressure is really bad it can take over 20 minutes to get the bath even 3/4 full?
I am having an electric shower fitted next week.Taking into account the above can anyone recommend a decent electric shower please?
Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
However long the boiler takes to provide hot water the electric will be longer ( for the same flow ).

Your boiler is at least 24 kW and your electric shower might be 10 kW.

Tony

Welcome to the world of combination boilers - utter shyte compared to proper hot water systems.

can anyone recommend a decent electric shower please?
No such thing, and with a combi in the next room, why would you want one?

Welcome to the world of combination boilers - utter shyte compared to proper hot water systems.

can anyone recommend a decent electric shower please?
No such thing, and with a combi in the next room, why would you want one?
What no such thing as a decent electric shower?
It's not really my choice that's what they are fitting(I don't own the property)
Probably the cheapest option?

Sponsored Links
It's not really my choice that's what they are fitting(I don't own the property)

That's right - even the most powerful electric shower is feeble compared to any other type. Their performance is worse in the winter as the incoming water is colder.
As already pointed out by Agile, the boiler you have is 2-3x more powerful than any electric shower ever could be.

The cheapest option would be a mixer valve fixed to the wall above the bath, connected to the existing hot and cold water supply. This is a cheap example: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d240/sd2946/p76879 - obviously more expensive and better quality versions are available, but even that one has a thermostatic cartridge in it to maintain a consistent temperature.

An electric one only needs a cold water supply, but also requires a large cable from there to an isolating switch, and more cable from there to your consumer unit, which may or may not be suitable for connecting a shower circuit to.
The outlet temperature on those is dependant on the flow rate through the unit, usually this is controlled via a knob on the front. Less flow = higher temperature.
Some grossly overpriced versions such as the Mira ATL have electronic controls on the front and various ways to adjust the heat output and water flow internally, but the principle of operation is the same.

That's right - even the most powerful electric shower is feeble compared to any other type. Their performance is worse in the winter as the incoming water is colder.
As already pointed out by Agile, the boiler you have is 2-3x more powerful than any electric shower ever could be.

The cheapest option would be a mixer valve fixed to the wall above the bath, connected to the existing hot and cold water supply. This is a cheap example: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d240/sd2946/p76879 - obviously more expensive and better quality versions are available, but even that one has a thermostatic cartridge in it to maintain a consistent temperature.

An electric one only needs a cold water supply, but also requires a large cable from there to an isolating switch, and more cable from there to your consumer unit, which may or may not be suitable for connecting a shower circuit to.
The outlet temperature on those is dependant on the flow rate through the unit, usually this is controlled via a knob on the front. Less flow = higher temperature.
Some grossly overpriced versions such as the Mira ATL have electronic controls on the front and various ways to adjust the heat output and water flow internally, but the principle of operation is the same.
I would appreciate as much help on this on as possible please folks.A shower is being fitted because after having the combi boiler fitted the hot water pressure is terrible and takes around 20 minutes to get the bath filled to a decent level where as with my older system it took 5 minutes?So the landlords solution is to fit an electric shower!Could anything better be done in this situation?Thanks folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back