How long have you had the same phone number for?

Sponsored Links
You used to be able to tune in to the 80's analogue phones, with a suitable receiver - it certainly was an eye (or ear) opener, listening to some of the what people thought were private converstaions.
We used to tune in when on nightshift, one of the techs had a Russian made receiver, drug deals, sex workers , you name it

I've changed my number pretty much every couple of years, when you keep you number you've got no chance of getting a good deal on your next contract and porting your number is a pain unless you change networks. For example if I upgrade my £30 a month contract, Vodafone want £40 a month and £100 for the new phone, compared with £30 a month and nothing for the phone if I take the same deal through mobilephonesdirect. To keep your number you either pony up the extra £340 over two years, or you have to port it to another network on a PAYG deal and then port it back, which is a whole load of hassle.

I did that last time because I didn't want to change number, so I've had my last number 4 years, but I just used the new service to switch and mvoed networks, so while I could have kept my number, the new network gave me a very memorable number, so I'm keeping that one instead.

As things stand no one knows my number anyway, I updated the number on Facebook, Google, WhatsApp and changed my work number forwarding to the new number and that's it sorted.

Sponsored Links
That's amazing. Couldn't imagine living in the same spot for that long!
No am with you there. I'd really get bored doing the same route, looking at the same walls.
Moved 21 times so far (and nope, not on the run!).

I've changed my number pretty much every couple of years, when you keep you number you've got no chance of getting a good deal on your next contract and porting your number is a pain unless you change networks. For example if I upgrade my £30 a month contract, Vodafone want £40 a month and £100 for the new phone, compared with £30 a month and nothing for the phone if I take the same deal through mobilephonesdirect. To keep your number you either pony up the extra £340 over two years, or you have to port it to another network on a PAYG deal and then port it back, which is a whole load of hassle.

I'm on Plusnet fibre and pay an extra £8 pm for UK and Mobile anytime calls and got a good discount for a second year with them. I was buying mobile 1Gb data sims from Three, as needed, for whilst away to put into a MiFi whilst away in the caravan. I was on Giffgaff PAYG until a month ago, minimising my mobile use, but then looked at Plusnet for mobile too.

For £7 pm I got 3Gb, unlimited, unlimited on Plusnet's 12 month contract and I took my original mobile number with me - that just last week. Requested pac Tuesday lunch from Gigaff, ordered Plusnet mobile a few minutes later with the pac, sim delivered and went live on a temporary number Thursday morning, original number ported by late afternoon. Plusnet apologised for the delay in the switch.

As I have free calls on the mobile included, my next move is to cancel the £8 for the free landline calls and just use the mobile for all calls - yet still be £1 better off pm and not have to buy separate data sims.

I have never taken out a mobile contract, with a phone included - I just buy my own phone outright, every few years. I keep the old ones a while, as backup. I have my very old Nokia E63, followed by an Iphone 4GS, now an Iphone SE.

I always buy our phones outright. The Mrs has an iPhone 8 and I’ve got a Samsung S9. I make a point of changing our 12 month sim only contracts every year simply because they won’t offer you a similar deal to stay. Currently we are both with 'Three' and through TopCashback for £10 per month we get 8Gb data with tethering even when outside the UK, unlimited calls and texts. Knock off the £45 cashback we get and it works out to £6.66 per month. It’s no problem changing and will be even easier next time now you can do it by text. We also don’t pay for a call package on the home landline, we just use that for incoming and 0800 calls and make all our calls on the mobiles.

We also don’t pay for a call package on the home landline, we just use that for incoming and 0800 calls and make all our calls on the mobiles.

Its really odd how/why mobile use has now become cheaper than landline use, if both are on unlimited deals. As said - mine is presently £8 on the landline, £7 on the mobile.

Another factor for both landline and mobile phones, is nuisance callers. I could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of nuisance calls to my mobile. However my landline number become flooded with them, soon after Talktalk had their reported customer database hacked...

They were so frequent, around 10 per day, that I had to by a caller filter system or rather a set of BT8500 phones, with a built in filter system. That I set to only allow calls through from numbers in its callbook. Others can get through by following a procedure which completely defeats all of the nuisance callers (so far), so doctors hospitals, police and etc. can still get through and most are now well used to these systems. Many of them use spoofed numbers anyway.

The number of nuisance calls then declined, to almost zero - my phone doesn't ring, but their attempt to get through is logged. The past few weeks saw an increase to around 3 such calls per day blocked, but that is back to zero now - I guess these people have some sort of black list of numbers, which are a waste of time to even attempt to ring.

Currently we are both with 'Three' and through TopCashback for £10 per month we get 8Gb data with tethering even when outside the UK, unlimited calls and texts. Knock off the £45 cashback we get and it works out to £6.66 per month.
Just changed again to an even better deal. Still with ‘Three'. 12Gb data, unlimited calls and texts plus 'Go Binge'. Basically watch certain channels such as Netflix, Dave, tvplayer etc all day every day if you like (handy for the train journey to work if I ever go on a train again and if I’ve still got a job to go to!) and it doesn’t come out of your data allowance. It’s £16 a month direct from Three but through TopCashback it’s £10 a month with £57.50 cashback making it just £5.21 a month. Gotta have it! Just get a free Asda mobile sim, put a quids worth of credit on it, port old number from three to Asda one day, then port from Asda back to three next day. Simples. They’ll be paying me to change soon!

Sponsored Links
Back