How long is clean water in CH safe before adding inhibitor

Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
846
Reaction score
24
Location
Yorkshire
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing some work on my Central Heating system for a couple of weeks now. Started 2 weeks ago with a full drain down, removed some radiators and re-routed some pipes, then refilled as replacement radiators hadn't arrived on time. A week later (the weekend just gone) partially drained down and installed 2 new bedroom radiators, connecting them upto new 15mm pipes.

I have just ordered a new downstairs hall radiator, which won't be delivered until next week, just before we go on holiday for 10 days, so I won't be able to fit that for nearly 3 weeks from today.

I'm now wondering if I should put some Fernox F1 protector into the CH system, but this would only be in for 3 weeks as I would then need to perform a full drain down to fit the new downstairs radiator as the pipes will need to be adjusted.

Given that the system currently only has clean water in it, is it safe to leave it running with this water for a further 3 weeks or is that likely to start causing issues and I should add inhibitor now and then again after the downstairs radiator has been installed?

The system is 28 years old. Before I drained the system down a couple of weeks ago, I checked the Adey Magnaclean pro 2 and there was barely anything in it. I then added a dose (500ml) of Fernox Power Cleaner F8 and ran the heating for a couple of days (on and off), then drained it down completely before filling up with clean water. This is the water that was then partially drained out over the weekend and I will be doing one more full drain down and refresh.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the use of F1.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top