How long should this take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently waiting for our new house to be finished before we can move in but the builders keep telling us different completion dates. They need to register plaster kitchen & livingroom hallway and stairway, knock off old plaster in 3 bedrooms and landing fit radiators in every room and doors and fit bathroom and paint, this is a council house the rooms are around 11 ft by 12 feet, there's usually about 6-8 builders in the house at any one time. the builders say it'll be done before Xmas it's now 12to December what do you guys think??

Sponsored Links
Council or ex-council?

If Council and you are not in by Christmas, they have a responsibility to rehouse you.

If ex-, you should have a contract with a finish date and a penalty for late completion.

What registering do they need to do?

It's a council house we bidded on, they told us 7th then 14th now they are saying it'll be done before Xmas. They are also aware we have give our notice in to our current landlord for the 27th, we viewed the property yesterday and it's just a building site bare brick walls no fittings plaster or heating, not sure what you mean by registering

Eight guys on site should be able to manage that. Just tell them when you are moving in.

There may be a bit of snagging in the new year but not a lot.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully it will be done we're just panicking cos it's so close to Xmas and my partners 8 month pregnant and we have an 11 month old daughter, and been told 3 different dates isn't giving us much to work with

Allocated, the guys doing the work are from the council

Get in touch with the council, they should have someone overseeing the work. Talk to him/her re the completion date, they'll have the final say.

The council should find you alternative accommodation if it's not complete(as mentioned above)they can't expect a family with an 11 month old and one on the way to live in a building site.

Good luck.

Not being funny but I wouldn't expect 6-8 council builders to put up a pair of blinds before christmas, 60% of the day rolling ciggies ffs

Not being funny but I wouldn't expect 6-8 council builders to put up a pair of blinds before christmas, 60% of the day rolling ciggies ffs

Fool, council workers smoke tailor made fags, to ham-fisted to role their own.

Or one bloke whose job it is to roll the ciggies. I should be careful though, most council workers are probably better than your average

A week to do all the plastering and six months to scrape it off the window frames, pipes, sockets, ............

What happened to your old home, out of curiosity? I mean, a baby and another on the way and you don't have a place to live a rely on t'council...just wondering how u found yourself in that position?

I think he's in rented property and was offered a council house.

I have no problem with families occupying them, it's the one parent, contraceptive denying baby factory I object to.

But that's a whole new topic.

Sponsored Links
Back