How long to install 3 Upvc windows in window spaces?

G

george75

How long will it take a carpenter to fit three upvc windows with the windows removed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
In what? 1st floor ground floor.

Brick, render, vertical tile hanging, weatherboarding.

Is he fitting external plastic cills, internal timber window boards.

In general and av sized windows, say 1200 x 1200 then 1 day for 3 in prepd openngs and in brick.

Price, maybe £200

All depends on spec and level of making good.

If the rip outs done and openings ready for windows, Im surprised you arent doing it yourself

In what? 1st floor ground floor.
Brick, render, vertical tile hanging, weatherboarding.
Is he fitting external plastic cills, internal timber window boards.
In general and av sized windows, say 1200 x 1200 then 1 day for 3 in prepd openngs and in brick.
Price, maybe £200
All depends on spec and level of making good.
If the rip outs done and openings ready for windows, Im surprised you arent doing it yourself

£200 sounds fair

Ah ok, so they are going in an arched opening - I guess with soldier brickwork above.

I dont get involved with upvc, so Im not sure what trims on the head are needed. In timber we would screw on a bit of 4 x 2 or similar on the head then scribe a flat board of ssy 100 x 18 to the shape. I assume internally its a square head.

In upvc, there might be a special trim you can buy for arched heads, If not just buy a suitable length of trim. You would something above the windowframe to fit it to.

If you are a competent Diyer, then fitting 3 upvc windows isnt all that hard. Some advice on here would get you doing it in the correct order. If you are happy to pay somebody, then thats probably best - if you can find a decent fitter, you want a local independant guy.....assuming he will fit windows he hasnt supplied as he isnt making anything on the windows and they may be different to his usual.

Dont forget you need fensa / certass certificate unless the project is under B/ regs.

Sponsored Links
Ah ok, so they are going in an arched opening - I guess with soldier brickwork above.

I dont get involved with upvc, so Im not sure what trims on the head are needed. In timber we would screw on a bit of 4 x 2 or similar on the head then scribe a flat board of ssy 100 x 18 to the shape. I assume internally its a square head.

In upvc, there might be a special trim you can buy for arched heads, If not just buy a suitable length of trim. You would something above the windowframe to fit it to.

If you are a competent Diyer, then fitting 3 upvc windows isnt all that hard. Some advice on here would get you doing it in the correct order. If you are happy to pay somebody, then thats probably best - if you can find a decent fitter, you want a local independant guy.....assuming he will fit windows he hasnt supplied as he isnt making anything on the windows and they may be different to his usual.

Dont forget you need fensa / certass certificate unless the project is under B/ regs.

I'll get a carpenter or someone with experience to fit them

A carpenter can certainly do it, if hes a first fix guy.

There is a lot to know about measuring and fitting windows. Unfortunately windows fitters are often on price only and are under huge pressure to earn good mobey and in the upvc industry not always the most highly skilled tradesmen, even though it is in fact a skilled trade to do well in all, circumstances.

I guessed £200 as it should be possible to do 3 windows in a day, esp if there is no rip out. Allow a bit of cost for sundries.

More expensive if it needs 2 guys to get in position.......

The company I used fitted 3 windows in a morning into empty openings, with 1 guy! There was no making good required inside as the rooms were to be refurbished.

- Cut sill to correct length
- Position sill
- Place window on top, check for level
- Forget to seal sill ends, causing me a world of pain
- Drill and fix window with concrete bolts, fix window to sill
- Foam all around
- Fit sill end caps
- Silicone outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back