How long will it take....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....before I can simply glance at a bare CPC and automatically cut a piece of sleeving that matches perfectly every time?

Sponsored Links
.....before I can simply glance at a bare CPC and automatically cut a piece of sleeving that matches perfectly every time?
It will take for ever - Mr Murphy and his Law guarantees that the first attempt will nearly always be fractionally too short. The clever ones probably start with the CPC slightly too long, and then adjust accordingly :)

Seriously, though, what I usually do is slide the uncut sleeving over the CPC until it is short of the far end by the amount I want to leave exposed, then bend over and cut the sleeving off where the end of the CPC is.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Seriously, though, what I usually do is slide the uncut sleeving over the CPC until it is short of the far end by the amount I want to leave exposed, then bend over and cut the sleeving off where the end of the CPC is.

Yep same here.

And another Dragon's Den idea...

Concertina sleeving like this:

t299913v3.jpg

You'd compress it a bit before cutting - not only would it be more tolerant of getting the length a bit wrong, once the cpc was in the terminal it would expand and completely cover the exposed part.

Hold CPC sleeving in left hand
Hold pair of side cutters in right hand
Then hold the sleeving up against bare copper CPC
and cut accordingly.
If you are left handed then instructions one and two are the other way around, if you are ambidextrous either way.

Much more expensive?
Yes, it would be.

As you say, normal isn't too expensive, so in absolute terms it wouldn't be an expensive item, but it would look relatively dear, and I doubt it would be a success.

No - it's not in use (AFAIK).

The forum seems to no longer show the subject of posts, and therefore missed out a significant part of what I wrote - I'll go back and edit it.

In the meantime, this topic has a title of "The things you find...", and therefore was designed to be read as:

The things you find...

... amidst the barbed wire and dodgy folk musicians when you do a google image search to see if sleeving like that already exists...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

It's impossible - you can never know the position and the length of the CPC at the same time, and since you must know its position to look at it...

(Sorry, Herr Heisenberg ) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back