How many airbricks needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached is a sketch of my extension built a year ago by not-very-good builders. Floor is suspended timber and I am unsure if there is oversite or a DPM.

Can anyone advise how many airbricks I should have? (Note the one on the left is old, and has always been there. May not even be under the new extension).

Also, how big a job is it to have new ones fitted? Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
A response from JohnD to a similar request many years ago:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101786

If that old airbrick is to a solum that has not been opened, e.g. by honey-combing the wall, then it's of no asistance to your extension. You do need some crossflow ventilation.

It's only a little job to install extra airbricks, just knock out one brick and cement in an airbrick, possibly with a duct across the cavity.

I have just built a similar extension and the spec was airbricks at 2 metre centres all round.

Sponsored Links
As RedHerring2 has mentioned, putting in additional airbricks should be fairly straight forward. Just find out where your floor joists are first because you don't really want to be taking out bricks on the end of one. Ideally position them in the space between joists.

Your floorboard fixings should indicate where the joists are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back